Oil and gas industry has grown tremendously over the last few decades, thanks to the growing use of fuel in both industrial and domestic circuits. Motor vehicles, engines and other industrial/domestic equipment and appliances make heavy use of oil and gas these days, affirming the fact that the practical application of oil and gas is inevitable in all disciplines of modern science. Almost all academic disciplines including international relations, engineering, operations, project management, finance, law, politics, sociology and economics have some sort of affiliation with the oil and gas industry. If you are interested in conducting research in the area of oil and gas management then you could undertake both quantitative and qualitative research for your discussion. Some intriguing and current oil and gas management dissertation topics are listed below for both undergraduate and graduate students.
Dissertation Topics in Oil and Gas Management
Energy, Policy & the Environment – Oil and Gas Management Topics
- Compliance to the environmental law and its implications for oil and gas exploration and production in Pakistan.
- How do large and oil and gas companies satisfy their environmental responsibilities – A critical analysis of the relationship between various waste management strategies in onshore oil and gas operations.
- To examine the effects of recent increases in fuel prices and depletion of oil and gas reserves throughout the world with focus on the distributional effect of energy policies for large oil and gas companies.
- Prospects, Challenges, Gains and Opportunities – An analysis of the environmental policies and strategies in Nigerian oil and gas sector
- To study the implications of the shale gas boom for U.S Energy Policy, environmental safety and natural gas markets.
Health, Safety and Risk – Oil and Gas Management Dissertation Topics
- To review the health, safety and risk management strategies employed by any large oil and gas company.
- To examine how risk assessment of onshore oil and gas operations is correlates to the International Labour Organisation Standards
- Implementing efficient risk management strategies in developing countries – A case study of any developing country
- To identify and discuss various factors resulting in hindrance of the development of effective health, safety and risk mitigation strategies in onshore operations.
- To critically analysis health, safety and environment culture in the Norwegian oil and gas sector.
- Managing environment risk in offshore operations in the oil and gas industry.
- To establish relationship between the health, safety and wellbeing of an offshore worker and the offshore environment in the UK.
- Developing an effective safety information system and health environment for workers
- Managing environmental risks in the Saudi oil and gas industry – A case study of any large oil and gas company such as Saudi Aramco.
- The importance of the role of onshore employees in maintaining a safety culture in offshore oil and gas operations.
Legal Matters in Oil and Gas Management Dissertation Topics
- To study the legal relationship between oil supplying countries in Middle East and the European Union.
- To compare extraction agreements and production sharing agreements with focus on the benefits to the host government of the developing nation.
- To establish to what extent does the UK regulate the operations of oil and gas companies and its impact on the overall performance of the industry
- A critical analysis of international environmental standards and oil and gas health and safety standards for oil and gas companies operating in a developing country.
- To study the international environmental law applicable to the oil and gas industry. How can the international law be used as a way to regulate the environment in developing countries where national environmental law is yet to be developed.
The Economic Side of Operations – Oil and Gas Management Dissertation Topics
- To examine the impact of oil and gas extraction, production and operations on operations of any developing nation that rode on oil and gas industry as a means to achieve economic prosperity.
- To discuss the role of politics in the economy of any oil dependent developing country.
- How the Ugandan economy has evolved after the discovery of oil in 2006.
- To what extent can Pakistan improve its economy by depoliticizing and regulating its oil and gas sector?
- To analyse the effects of the resource curse on the Nigerian economy.
- The relationship between economy, oil and politics in a developing country – A case study of any oil dependent developing nation.
Also Read: How to Write Dissertation Quickly
Environmental Management – Oil and Gas Management Dissertation Topics
- To develop a framework for environmental management policy using the stakeholder theory of corporate management – A case study of oil and gas boom in Nigeria
- To investigate how Royal Dutch Shell group was able to deal with the environmental management issues in the Niger Delta by bringing about the much needed reforms.
- The effects of the increased pressure being put by the United National Environmental Programmes on the multinational companies in order to ensure that they comply with their societal and environmental responsibilities.
- To understand how domestic environmental policies in oil and gas sector have evolved over the years to facilitate international trading.
- To establish relationship between patterns in international trading and the domestic environmental policies and regulations.
Strategic Operations – Oil and Gas Management Dissertation Topics
- To study and examine risk management strategies employed by large oil and gas companies to mitigate the effects of political instability on their processes particularly in developing countries like Nigeria.
- To critically analyse the strategic innovations of oil and gas MNEs to deal with the effect of global warming on their oil and gas operations.
- To what extent do large oil and gas companies involve environmental factors in their initial operations management plan?
- To establish relationship between the organisational culture and the processes of large oil and gas companies – The positives and the negatives.
Also Read: Computer Engineering Dissertation Topics
Logistics and Supply Chain Management – Oil and Gas Management Dissertation Topics
- To identify the most critical issues faced by oil and gas companies in regards to their offshore activities; with focus on infrastructure development, agreements and regulations.
- To understand the concept of sustainable supply chain management in onshore oil and gas processes with the help of a theoretical framework.
- The role of logistics skills and management in the success of supply chain management in pipeline agreements with regards to dispute resolution procedures.
- To investigate the impacts of sustainability implementation on corporate competitiveness of oil and gas supply chain.
- To critically analyse the supply chain practices in the petroleum downstream.
- To examine a successful supply chain management model in the oil and gas industry – A case study of Royal Dutch Shell group.
- To what extent the logistics in the oil and gas industry can be outsourced?
- To examine effects of supply chain integration on the operational performance and organisational structure in oil and gas supply chains.
- To establish and discuss the relationship between the overall supply chain management strategy of oil and gas companies and the management of up and downstream pipeline management.
- To what extent the theoretical concerns of supply chain management can be practically implemented in offshore oil and gas activities?
Corporate Social Responsibility – Oil and Gas Management Dissertation Topics
- To establish the relationship between financial performance of the oil and gas sector and corporate social responsibility – Evidence from UK oil and gas firms.
- To evaluate the importance of reputational risk in regards to corporate social responsibility the oil and gas sector.
- Integrating project procurement management with corporate social responsibility – A study of the oil and gas industry.
- To discuss corporate social responsibility as a function of community development in Nigerian oil and gas sector.
- To understand to what extent does the concept of corporate social responsibility influence the operations in oil and gas industry.
- To what extent does the idea of corporate social responsibility influence the supply chain management processes in oil and gas industry.
- To examine corporate social responsibility activities of large oil and gas companies in the UK.
- The evolution of the concept of corporate social responsibility; from voluntary assumption of responsibility
- CSR is often seen by large oil and gas companies as the way to gain competitive advantage. How true is the notion that corporate social responsibility can help oil and gas companies to achieve their profit/economic goals in the long run?
- To identify the factors influencing oil and companies’ choice to implement CSR practices in their offshore and onshore operations.
Additional Oil and Gas Management Dissertation Topics
- To establish relationship between sustainable environmental management in a developing country and the long term effects of pollution.
- Risk, uncertainty and investment decision making in the upstream oil and gas industry.
- How the global economy and GDP have evolved with an increase in international petroleum prices.
- The growing popularity of production sharing agreements from the perspective of host governments in developing countries.
Some Tips and Suggestions
If you are interested in basing your dissertation on oil and gas management then the starting point for you would be to choose any specific area of oil and gas sector which will eventually become the foundation of your research study. Oil and gas management is a broad topic, and therefore it is imperative you focus on one or two issues facing oil and gas industry. Structure of your oil and gas management dissertation topics generally will be as follows:
- Table of Contents
- Abstract/Executive Summary
- Literature Review