The Best Mechanical Engineering Dissertation Topics and Titles
Published byat January 5th, 2023 , Revised On August 18, 2023
Engineering is a vast subject that encompasses different branches for a student to choose from. Mechanical engineering is one of these branches. Writing a mechanical engineering dissertation from scratch is a difficult task due to the complexities involved, but the job is still not impossible.
Are you looking to select the best mechanical engineering dissertation topic for your dissertation? To help you get started with brainstorming for mechanical engineering dissertation topics, we have developed a list of the latest topics that can be used for writing your mechanical engineering dissertation.
These topics have been developed by PhD qualified writers of our team, so you can trust to use these topics for drafting your own dissertation.
You may also want to start your dissertation by requesting a brief research proposal from our writers on any of these topics, which includes an introduction to the topic, research question, aim and objectives, literature review, along with the proposed methodology of research to be conducted. Let us know if you need any help in getting started.
Review step by step guide on how to write your own dissertation here.
2022 Mechanical Engineering Research Topics
Research Aim: The research aims to investigate the applications of IoT in autonomous and connected vehicles
- To analyse the applications of IoT in mechanical engineering
- To evaluate the communication technologies in autonomous and connected vehicles.
- To investigate how IoT facilitates the interaction of smart devices in autonomous and connected vehicles
Research Aim: The research aims to evaluate the impact of the combustion of alternative liquid fuels on the internal combustion engines of automobiles
- To analyse the types of alternative liquid fuels for vehicles and their implications
- To investigate the benchmarking of alternative liquid fuels based on the principles of combustion performance.
- To evaluate the impact of combustion of alternative liquid fuels on the internal combustion engines of automobiles with conventional engines
Research Aim: The research aims to evaluate the design and control effectiveness of production engineering on rapid prototyping and intelligent manufacturing
- To analyse the principles of design and control effectiveness of production engineering.
- To determine the principles of rapid prototyping and intelligent manufacturing for ensuring quality and performance effectiveness
- To evaluate the impact of production engineering on the design and control effectiveness of rapid prototyping and intelligent manufacturing.
Research Aim: The research aims to investigate the impact of industrial quality control on the quality, reliability and maintenance in industrial manufacturing
- To analyse the concept and international standards associated with industrial quality control.
- To determine the strategies of maintaining quality, reliability and maintenance in manufacturing.
- To investigate the impact of industrial quality control on the quality, reliability and maintenance in industrial manufacturing.
Research Aim: The research aims to analyse the impact of AI on intelligent control and precision of mechanical manufacturing
- To analyse the applications of AI on mechanical manufacturing
- To evaluate the methods of intelligent control and precision of the manufacturing
- To investigate the impact of AI on intelligent control and precision of mechanical manufacturing for ensuring quality and reliability
Covid-19 Mechanical Engineering Research Topics
Research Aim: This research will focus on identifying the impacts of Coronavirus on mechanical engineering and mechanical engineers, along with its possible solutions.
Research Aim: This study will identify the contributions of mechanical engineers to combat the COVID-19 pandemic highlighting the challenges faced by them and their outcomes. How far did their contributions help combat the Coronavirus pandemic?
Research Aim: The study aims to investigate the transformation of industries after the pandemic. The study will answer questions such as, how manufacturing industries will transform after COVID-19? Discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
Research Aim: The focus of the study will be on identifying the damage caused to the supply chain of manufacturing industries due to the COVID-19 pandemic. What measures are taken to recover the loss and to ensure the continuity of business?
Research Aim: This study will identify whether remote working is an effective way to recover the loss caused by the COVID-19 pandemic? What are its advantages and disadvantages? What steps should be taken to overcome the challenges faced by remote workers?
Mechanical Dissertation Topics of 2021
Research Aim: The research will focus on producing and manufacturing copula furnaces and aluminium atomizers with available materials to manufacture aluminium powder metal.0.4 kg of refined coke will be chosen to measure content and energy balance and calculate the design values used to produce the drawings.
Research Aim: This research aims to focus on the interaction between the Fluid, Acoustic, and vibrations
Research Aim: This research aims to identify the relationship between Combustion and Energy Systems
Research Aim: This research will focus on the importance of design and manufacturing
Research Aim: This research aims to highlight the advances in design engineering
Best Mechanical Dissertation Topics of 2021
Research Aim: This research aims to analyse the main topics of mechanical engineering explored by other researchers in the last decade and the research methods. The data used is accumulated from the years 2009 to 2019. The data used for this research is used from the “Applied Mechanics Review” magazine.
Research Aim: This research aims to analyse the different properties of various mechanical metamaterials and how they can be used in mechanical engineering. This research will also discuss the potential uses of these materials in other industries and future developments in this field.
Research Aim: This research will look into the properties of selected materials for the formation of a product. The study will take the results of tests that have already been carried out on the materials. The materials will be categorised into two classes from the already prepared results, namely destructive and non-destructive. The further uses of the non-destructive materials will be discussed briefly.
Research Aim: The research will evaluate the different properties of magnesium oxide (MgO) and its potential use as a raw material for the SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) process. The flammability and other mechanical properties will be analysed.
Research Aim: This research will study the various materials used in 3-D printing and their composition. This research will discuss the properties of different printing materials and compare the harms and benefits of using each material.
Research Aim: This research will take an in-depth analysis of a master cylinder. The material used to create the cylinder, along with its properties, will be discussed. The use of the master cylinder in mechanical engineering will also be explained.
Research Aim: This research will look into the use of modified Pearlitic rail steel in railway transportation. Modifications of tensile strength, the supported weight, and impact toughness will be analysed. Results of previously applied tests will be used.
How Can Research Prospect Help?
Research Prospect writers can send several custom topic ideas to your email address. Once you have chosen a topic that suits your needs and interests, you can order for our dissertation outline service, which will include a brief introduction to the topic, research questions, literature review, methodology, expected results, and conclusion. The dissertation outline will enable you to review the quality of our work before placing the order for our full dissertation writing service!
Electro-Mechanical Dissertation Topics
Research Aim: This research will study the properties of epoxy reinforced glass fibres and their use in modern times. Features such as tensile strength and tensile resistance will be analysed under different current strengths. Results from previous tests already carried out will be used to explain their properties.
Research Aim: This research will compare and contrast a selected group of materials and look into their elastic modules. The modules used are the results taken from previously carried out experiments. This will explain why a particular material is used for a specific purpose.
Research Aim: This research will analyse the properties of concrete that are altered when mixed with coconut sawdust. Porosity and other mechanical properties will be evaluated using the results of previous experiments. The use of this type of concrete in the construction industry will also be discussed.
Research Aim: In this research, a close evaluation of the difference in thermal resistance of certain materials when they come in contact with a surface at sub-ambient temperature. The properties of the materials at the temperature will be noted. Results from previously carried out experiments will be used. The use of these materials will be discussed and explained, as well.
Research Aim: In this research, we will analyse the mechanical properties of the components of a composite sandwich through the use of the bending test. The results of the tests previously carried out will be used. The research will take an in-depth evaluation of the mechanical properties of the sandwich and explain the means that it is used in modern industries.
Mechanical Properities Dissertation Topics
Research Aim: In this research, we will evaluate the difference in durability and mechanical properties between regular concrete binders and magnesium silicate hydrate binders. The difference between the properties of both binders will indicate which binder is better for concrete. Features such as tensile strength and weight it can support are compared.
Research Aim: This research will aim to analyse the use of a submersible pumping system in machine systems. The materials used to make the system, as well as the mechanical properties it possesses, will be discussed.
Research Aim: In this research, the primary function of a breather device for an internal combustion engine is discussed. The placement of this device in the system, along with its importance, is explained. The effects on the internal combustion engine if the breather device is removed will also be observed.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the study of selected mechanical properties of hollow polyester monofilaments. In this case, the compression and tension behaviour of the filaments is studied. These properties are considered in order to explore the future use of these filaments in the textile industry and other related industries.
Research Aim: This research will focus on selecting the proper carbon nanotube type, which will be able to improve the mechanical properties of cementitious materials. Changes in the length, diameter, and weight-based concentration of the nanotubes will be noted when analysing the difference in the mechanical properties. One character of the nanotubes will be of optimal value while the other two will be altered. Results of previous experiments will be used.
Research Aim: This research aims to evaluate a system and method in which the capacity and efficiency of the process of liquefaction of natural gas can avoid bottlenecking in its refrigerant compressing system. Advantages of the parallel compression system in the oil and gas industry will be discussed.
Research Aim: In this research, the differences made in applying palm kernel shell particulate to reinforced epoxy composites for the manufacturing of automobile parts will be examined. Properties such as impact toughness, wear resistance, flexural, tensile, and water resistance will be analysed carefully. The results of the previous tests will be used. The potential use of this material will also be discussed.
Research Aim: This research will focus on observing the changes in the mechanical properties of Kevlar KM2-600 in comparison to two different types of S glass tows (AGY S2 and Owens Corning Shield Strand S). The surface damage, along with fiber breakage, will be noted among all three fibers. The effects of the abrasions on all three fibers will be emphasised. The use of Kevlar KM2 and the other S glass tows will also be discussed along with other potential applications.
Industrial Application of Mechanical Engineering Dissertation Topics
Research Aim: This research focuses on the function of a fuel injector device and why this component is necessary for the system of an internal combustion engine. The importance of this device will be explained. The adverse effects on the entire system if the equipment is either faulty or completely removed will also be discussed.
Research Aim: This research will aim to formulate an optimization in a mechanical design under the influence of uncertainty. This will create an efficient tool that is based on the conditions of each optimization under the risk. This will save time and allow the designer to obtain new information in regards to the stability of the performance of his design under the uncertainties.
Research Aim: This research will evaluate the mechanical properties of different polycarbonate materials and their potential to be recycled. The materials with the ability to be recycled are then further examined for potential use as a 3-dimensional printing material. The temperature of the printer’s nozzle along with the nozzle velocity matrix from previous experiments is used to evaluate the tensile strengths of the printed material. Other potential uses of these materials are also discussed.
Research Aim: This research will provide a detailed explanation of the process of detecting a lightning strike on a wind turbine. The measurement of the magnitude of the lightning strike, along with recognising the affected area will be explained. The proper method employed to rectify the damage that occurred by the strike will also be discussed.
Research Aim: The research will take an in-depth evaluation of the different mechanics of a heat recovery component in an exhaust gas system. The functions of the different parts of the heat recovery component will be explained along with the importance of the entire element itself. The adverse effect of a faulty defected heat recovery component will also be explained.
Related: Civil Engineering Dissertation
As a student of mechanical engineering looking to get good grades, it is essential to develop new ideas and experiment on existing mechanical engineering theories – i.e., to add value and interest in the topic of your research.
The field of mechanical engineering is vast and interrelated to so many other academic disciplines like civil engineering, construction, law, and even healthcare. That is why it is imperative to create a mechanical engineering dissertation topic that is articular, sound, and actually solves a practical problem that may be rampant in the field.
We can’t stress how important it is to develop a logical research topic; it is the basis of your entire research. There are several significant downfalls to getting your topic wrong; your supervisor may not be interested in working on it, the topic has no academic creditability, the research may not make logical sense, there is a possibility that the study is not viable.
This impacts your time and efforts in writing your dissertation as you may end up in the cycle of rejection at the very initial stage of the dissertation. That is why we recommend reviewing existing research to develop a topic, taking advice from your supervisor, and even asking for help in this particular stage of your dissertation.
Keeping our advice in mind while developing a research topic will allow you to pick one of the best mechanical engineering dissertation topics that not only fulfill your requirement of writing a research paper but also adds to the body of knowledge.
Therefore, it is recommended that when finalizing your dissertation topic, you read recently published literature in order to identify gaps in the research that you may help fill.
Remember- dissertation topics need to be unique, solve an identified problem, be logical, and can also be practically implemented. Take a look at some of our sample mechanical engineering dissertation topics to get an idea for your own dissertation.
How to Structure your Mechanical Engineering Dissertation
A well-structured dissertation can help students to achieve a high overall academic grade.
- A Title Page
- Abstract: A summary of the research completed
- Table of Contents
- Introduction: This chapter includes the project rationale, research background, key research aims and objectives, and the research problems to be addressed. An outline of the structure of a dissertation can also be added to this chapter.
- Literature Review: This chapter presents relevant theories and frameworks by analysing published and unpublished literature available on the chosen research topic, in light of research questions to be addressed. The purpose is to highlight and discuss the relative weaknesses and strengths of the selected research area whilst identifying any research gaps. Break down of the topic, and key terms can have a positive impact on your dissertation and your tutor.
- Methodology: The data collection and analysis methods and techniques employed by the researcher are presented in the Methodology chapter which usually includes research design, research philosophy, research limitations, code of conduct, ethical consideration, data collection methods, and data analysis strategy.
- Findings and Analysis: Findings of the research are analysed in detail under the Findings and Analysis chapter. All key findings/results are outlined in this chapter without interpreting the data or drawing any conclusions. It can be useful to include graphs, charts, and tables in this chapter to identify meaningful trends and relationships.
- Discussion and Conclusion: The researcher presents his interpretation of results in this chapter, and states whether the research hypothesis has been verified or not. An essential aspect of this section of the paper is to draw a linkage between the results and evidence from the literature. Recommendations with regards to implications of the findings and directions for the future may also be provided. Finally, a summary of the overall research, along with final judgments, opinions, and comments, must be included in the form of suggestions for improvement.
- References: This should be completed in accordance with your University’s requirements
- Appendices: Any additional information, diagrams, graphs that were used to complete the dissertation but not part of the dissertation should be included in the Appendices chapter. Essentially, the purpose is to expand the information/data.
About Research Prospect Ltd
Our team of writers is highly qualified. They are experts in their respective fields. They have been working in the industry for a long, thus are aware of the issues as well as the trends of the industry they are working in.
Need more Topics.?
Frequently Asked Questions
To discover mechanical engineering dissertation topics:
- Research recent advancements.
- Explore industry challenges.
- Consider sustainability or automation.
- Review academic journals.
- Consult with professors.
- Opt for a niche aligning with your passion and career aims.