Construction Engineering Dissertation Topics
Published byat August 21st, 2021 , Revised On June 30, 2022
The development in construction engineering has significantly influenced the way our society has grown over the last few decades. Recent research in sustainable construction has been much emphasized in the civil engineering industry. The world is now moving towards systems that are considered adaptable, sustainable, viable, and environmentally friendly.
Many developed countries, including the United Kingdom, have developed pathways towards this future in Vision 2030 and even 2050. There are various exciting research opportunities for students when selecting their construction engineering dissertation topic.
To help you get started with brainstorming for construction engineering topic ideas, we have developed a list of the latest topics that can be used for writing your construction engineering dissertation.
These topics have been developed by PhD qualified writers of our team, so you can trust to use these topics for drafting your dissertation.
You may also want to start your dissertation by requesting a brief research proposal from our writers on any of these topics, which includes an introduction to the problem, research question, aim and objectives, literature review, along with the proposed methodology of research to be conducted. Let us know if you need any help in getting started.
You can review step by step guide on how to write your dissertation here.
2022 Construction Engineering Dissertation Topics
Topic 1: The impact of virtual reality on enhancing customer experience and decreasing on-site visits to construction projects
Research Aim: The aim is to evaluate the impact of virtual reality on enhancing customer experience and decreasing on-site visits to construction projects
- To understand the significance of incorporating VR in the UK construction projects
- To analyse the effect of VR on enhancing customer experience
- To examine the impact of VR on reducing the number of on-site visits
Topic 2: The incorporation of AI in UK based construction projects to forecast costs accurately and mitigate safety and productivity issues
Research Aim: The aim focuses on to examine how the incorporation of AI in the UK construction projects can help in forecasting costs accurately and mitigating safety and productivity issues
- To explore the significance of incorporating AI in construction projects
- To evaluate how forecasting of costs can be done accurately with the incorporation of AI in the UK construction projects
- To understand how safety and productivity issues can be mitigated effectively with the integration of AI in the UK construction projects
Topic 3: The impact of workforce restrictions and supply chain disruptions due to the coronavirus pandemic on the growth of the UK construction sector
Research Aim: The research aim concentrates on to explore the impact of workforce restrictions and supply chain disruptions due to the coronavirus pandemic on the growth of the UK construction sector
- To evaluate the different impacts of coronavirus pandemic on the UK construction sector
- To determine how supply chain disruptions due to the pandemic has influenced the growth of the UK construction sector
- To examine how workforce restrictions due to this pandemic have impacted the growth of the UK construction sector
Topic 4: The importance of five elements of Business Information Modeling and how these elements of BIM are minimising operation costs and increasing the productivity in UK construction projects
Research Aim: The aim is to evaluate the importance of five elements of Business Information Modeling and how these elements of BIM are minimising operation costs and increasing the productivity in the UK construction projects
- To understand the Business Information Modeling and its five elements
- To determine how these elements of BIM are minimising operation costs in the UK based construction projects
- To examine how these elements of BIM are increasing the productivity in the UK based construction projects
Topic 5: An examination of different ways through which a site waste management plan in the UK construction projects helps in using recyclable products and mitigating contamination
Research Aim: The research aim explores different ways through which a site waste management plan in the UK construction projects helps in using recyclable products and mitigating contamination
- To examine the importance of the site waste management plan in the UK construction projects
- To determine how an efficient site waste management plan can help in recycling waste products
- To evaluate how an efficient site waste management plan can aid in mitigating contamination
Covid-19 Civil Engineering Research Topics
Construction Engineering after Coronavirus: Identify the consequences of Covid-19 on construction engineering in the UK or any country of your choice.
Research Aim: This research will focus on identifying the impacts of Coronavirus on construction engineering in the selected country.
Research to study the damage caused to the construction projects due to the lack of workers on site.
Research Aim: This study will focus on identifying the damage caused to construction projects as the workers are staying away from the sites. What measures are taken to complete these projects and recover the loss?
Contractors and Builders after Covid-19: business industry, tender opportunities, and planning to continue business.
Research Aim: This research aims at identifying the conditions faced by contractors and builders. What is their plan to deal with the COVID-19 crisis? How did it affect the business industry and tender opportunities?
Cite Operating Procedures: research the various safety measures for workers, contractors, and engineers working on construction sites.
Research Aim: This research is conducted to know about various safety measures taken by the government and private organisations for workers, contractors, and engineers working on construction sites.
Investigate how civil engineers are working from home: Identify whether remote working can be a long-lasting solution to recover the loss caused by Covid-19.
Research Aim: Remote working has emerged as a ray of hope for mechanical engineers amid this pandemic. This research will focus on the advantages and disadvantages of remote working and also answer the question of whether it is a long-lasting solution or not.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the financial loss and labour crisis caused due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Research to study the disruption of the supply chain, shortage of contractors, workers, and material, cancellation of contracts due to COVID-19
Research Aim: This research will focus on identifying the disruption of the supply chain, shortage of contractors, workers, and material, cancellation of contracts due to COVID-19.
Research to throw the light on the future of the construction Industry after the Coronavirus pandemic.
Research Aim: This research will predict how the construction industry will transform after the COVID-19 pandemic. What challenges it may face, and what could be the possible ways to meet those challenges?
Construction Engineering Dissertation Topics
- Utilization of renewable energy resources in the development of sustainable homes
- Sustainability and its impact on societies; Visualizing a constructive future.
- Achieving sustainability from properties of concrete; Analyses of the recent research and developments.
- The lean manufacturing techniques and the role of management in construction
- Construction Safety; is there a need to revise or re-model the practices/legislations, reviewing the accidental trends and role of legislations?
- Multilingual safety in construction; reviewing the current industrial practices and the need to improve, highlighting the actual issues of migrant workers in the construction industry
- Analysis of the impact of the latest technology in the construction Industry
- The role of Business Information Modelling (BIM) in the Construction Industry; assessment of practices, management, and productivity through such computer-aided tools
- Procurement techniques; analyses of the most suited procurement strategies in the construction industry
- Is there a need for an integrated model that can replace all other management tools? Review of how the construction industry can be revolutionized through the use of state of the art computer-aided techniques
- Construction Management; highlighting the best practices in the modern construction projects
- Zero carbon structures; use of technology to develop zero carbon buildings
- Waste minimization in construction projects; identifying the best practices
- Use of Waste in constructions; how demolition can be modelled to construct new structures
- Construction materials analyses; timber, steel, or concrete? Investigation of materials for optimum material’s utilization
- Design of Effective ventilation systems in high rise buildings
Also Read: Mechanical Engineering Dissertation Topics
Note: Some of these topics may require students to undertake primary research, which includes developing questionnaires, survey forms, and interviews, whilst others are based on desk-based research.
How Can Research Prospect Help?
Research Prospect writers can send several custom topic ideas to your email address. Once you have chosen a topic that suits your needs and interests, you can order for our dissertation outline service, which will include a brief introduction to the topic, research questions, literature review, methodology, expected results, and conclusion. The dissertation outline will enable you to review the quality of our work before placing the order for our full dissertation writing service!
As a construction engineering student looking to get good grades, it is essential to develop new ideas and experiment on existing construction engineering theories – i.e., to add value and interest in your research topic.
The field of construction engineering is vast and interrelated to so many other academic disciplines like civil engineering, law, and even healthcare. That is why it is imperative to create a construction engineering dissertation topic that is articular, sound, and actually solves a practical problem that may be rampant in the field.
We can’t stress how important it is to develop a logical research topic; it is the basis of your entire research. There are several significant downfalls to getting your topic wrong; your supervisor may not be interested in working on it, the topic has no academic creditability, the research may not make logical sense, there is a possibility that the study is not viable.
This impacts your time and efforts in writing your dissertation, as you may end up in the cycle of rejection at the very initial stage of the dissertation. That is why we recommend reviewing existing research to develop a topic, taking advice from your supervisor, and even asking for help in this particular stage of your dissertation.
While developing a research topic, keeping our advice in mind will allow you to pick one of the best construction engineering dissertation topics that fulfil your requirement of writing a research paper and add to the body of knowledge.
Therefore, it is recommended that when finalising your dissertation topic, you read recently published literature to identify gaps in the research that you may help fill.
Remember- dissertation topics need to be unique, solve an identified problem, be logical, and be practically implemented. Take a look at some of our sample construction engineering dissertation topics to get an idea for your own dissertation.
How to Structure your Dissertation on Construction Engineering
A well-structured dissertation can help students to achieve a high overall academic grade.
- A Title Page
- Abstract: A summary of the research completed
- Table of Contents
- Introduction: This chapter includes the project rationale, research background, key research aims and objectives, and the research problems. An outline of the structure of a dissertation can also be added to this chapter.
- Literature Review: This chapter presents relevant theories and frameworks by analysing published and unpublished literature available on the chosen research topic in light of research questions to be addressed. The purpose is to highlight and discuss the relative weaknesses and strengths of the selected research area whilst identifying any research gaps. Break down of the topic, and key terms can positively impact your dissertation and your tutor.
- Methodology: The data collection and analysis methods and techniques employed by the researcher are presented in the Methodology chapter, which usually includes research design, research philosophy, research limitations, code of conduct, ethical consideration, data collection methods, and data analysis strategy.
- Findings and Analysis: Findings of the research are analysed in detail under the Findings and Analysis chapter. All key findings/results are outlined in this chapter without interpreting the data or drawing any conclusions. It can be useful to include graphs, charts, and tables in this chapter to identify meaningful trends and relationships.
- Discussion and Conclusion: The researcher presents his interpretation of results in this chapter and state whether the research hypothesis has been verified or not. An essential aspect of this section of the paper is to link the results and evidence from the literature. Recommendations with regards to implications of the findings and directions for the future may also be provided. Finally, a summary of the overall research, along with final judgments, opinions, and comments, must be included in the form of suggestions for improvement.
- References: This should be completed in accordance with your University’s requirements
- Appendices: Any additional information, diagrams, and graphs used to complete the dissertation but not part of the dissertation should be included in the Appendices chapter. Essentially, the purpose is to expand the information/data.
About Research Prospect Ltd
Our team of writers is highly qualified. They are experts in their respective fields. They have been working in the industry for a long time, thus are aware of the issues and trends of the industry they are working in.
Need more Topics.?
You May Also Like
We have listed some interesting and relevant dissertation topics to help you get an overview and hit the ground running with your Ukraine, Russia & NATO conflict-based research.
This is a list of dissertation topics related to the lives and experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning (LGBTQIA+) individuals.