Law Dissertation Topics
Published byat January 9th, 2023 , Revised On October 5, 2023
Law dissertations can be demanding because of the need to find relevant regulations, cases, and data to address the research problem successfully. It is of utmost importance to critically examine facts before framing the research questions.
Selection of the most appropriate legal terms and legal authorities, whether online or in print, can be challenging especially if you have not tackled a law dissertation project before.
To help you select an intriguing law dissertation topic, our expert writers have suggested some issues in various areas of law, including trust law, EU law, family law, employment and equality law, public law, tort law, intellectual property rights, commercial law, evidence, and criminal law, and human rights and immigration law.
These topics have been developed by PhD-qualified writers of our team, so you can trust to use these topics for drafting your dissertation.
Review step by step guide on how to write your own dissertation here.
You may also want to start your dissertation by requesting a brief research proposal from our writers on any of these topics, which includes an introduction to the topic, research question, aim and objectives, literature review along with the proposed methodology of research to be conducted. Let us know if you need any help in getting started.
Review the full list of dissertation topics for 2022 here.
2022 Law Dissertation Topics
Research Aim: This study aims to find the role of international criminal laws in reducing global genocide. It will be an exploratory study identifying the explicit and implicit effects of international criminal laws on the worldwide genocide. It will analyse different incidents of international genocide and find out how international criminal laws played a positive role to reduce these incidents. Lastly, it will recommend possible changes in the international criminal laws to effectively mitigate global genocide. And it will be done by comparing criminal laws of world-leading powers to reduce genocide.
Research Aim: This research aims to find the impact of anti-racism employment laws on the organisational culture in the US and Canada in a comparative analysis. It will identify the change in employees’ behaviour after implementing anti-racism laws. Moreover, it will find whether employees gleefully welcomed these laws or showed resistance. And how do these laws affect the organisations’ performance that strictly implemented them?
Research Aim: Students and practitioners can find the law of international business transactions as a subfield within a broader field of international commercial law to be somewhat amorphous.
This study will explain the impact of globalization on international business transactions and commercial law by establishing some necessary links between the study of transnational business law and related fields of international studies. This study also aims to address theories about foreign business regulation, such as the idea that it is free of power politics. For the collection of data existing literature will be studied. And the methodology of this research will rely on existing previous literature.
Research Aim: This study aims to investigate the impact of competition laws on businesses in the Post-Brexit UK. The proposed study will not only analyze the performance of the businesses with the current competition laws. But also analyze the impact of possible changes in competition laws on the businesses in the post-Brexit UK. And it will also incorporate the possible difference of changes in competition laws in deal, no-deal, hard deal, and soft deal scenarios. This way of individually analyzing the difference of competition laws due to the status of the UK’s deal with the EU will give better insights into how businesses will be affected by these laws in the post-Brexit UK.
Research Aim: Since several years, marital and non-marital relations in Muslim majority countries have been a source of controversy. Under Islamic law, it is strictly forbidden for a Muslim, or even non-Muslim to engage in illicit sexual relations with the opposite gender under any situation. The current study will help us understand the concepts presented in Islamic laws about rape cases. In this context, a comparative analysis of Islamic and contemporary law will be explained. It will also identify efficient and effective strategies to prevent this horrific crime.
Law Dissertation Topics 2021
Research Aim: This study will focus on how the Canadian government benefits from resources accrued from immigration, the impact of COVID-19 on Canadian Immigration, the current legislation on immigration, the effects of COVID-19 on the immigration law, the possible amendments that could help cushion the impact and the way forward.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the pandemic’s effect on immigration policies in the United States. It also suggests the required steps based on the laws that regulate government acts during an outbreak of a pandemic.
Research Aim: This research will focus on how the COVID-19 pandemic hit the world and how most countries seemed unprepared. Historical background of the flu pandemic can also be made to assess how the world overcame the pandemic. And the need for the Canadian government or any other country you wish to choose can prepare for a global pandemic by creating legal policies that could help prepare ahead for such a period, such as policies on scientific research and funding.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the Gulf Cooperation Countries and their current legislation on competition law and its implications. Countries under the European Union’s competition law, the legal implications, and the need to consider such a part.
Research Aim: This research focuses on the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries’ competition laws and their enforceability. It analyses the benefits of enforcing the competition law and looks at the European Union uniformed laws and its benefits. It looks into the various countries, how the competition law currently works, and how it can affect each country’s economy in a better way or adequately enforced.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the law’s present provisions on rape and rape victims and the recent false accusations.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the statistics of people who were summarily dismissed during the COVID-19 pandemic based on natural occurrences, provisions of the law against summary dismissal, and its enforcement, and how this can be cushioned against future events. The need to expand the labour law to cover similar situations for the protection of workers.
Research Aim: This research focuses on the mode of dispute settlement in the international community, assessment of international laws and treaties on peaceful settlement of conflicts among countries of member states, the methods of dispute settlements, its strengths and weaknesses, and the need to improve the current mechanisms of peaceful settlement in the international community.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the law’s provisions on protecting minority shareholders in companies and the majority shareholders’ power. How effective are these provisions in protecting the minorities against the management of the majority shareholders and the way forward
COVID-19 Law Research Topics
Research Aim: This study will analyse the role of law and order during COVID-19.
Research Aim: This study will focus on the legal policies issued during the COVID-19 across the world. Challenges faced by the public and government during the lockdown will also be addressed.
Research Question: This study will highlight the role of cops in combatting COVID-19 and ensuring public health safety. It’ll also focus on the risk and challenges they come across and how to overcome those challenges.
Research Aim: The entire world has been paused during the lockdown situation. This study will investigate the mode of trials, court sessions, and justice during the coronavirus pandemic.
Research Aim: This study will reveal the WHO’s health and safety guidelines.
Research Aim: This study will focus on reviewing the guidelines issued by the government for various public gathering places such as transport, educational institutions, business sectors, and hospitals during the Coronavirus pandemics.
Law Dissertation Topics 2021
Research Aim: Examine communities impacted by development operations under the World Bank Development project schemes using the project law model to understand the lack of participation and successful influence of these communities to improve accountability and good governance.
Research Aim: Gun control and the right to bear arms has been an ever-evolving web discourse in the United States. The research aims at analysing how gun control laws have changed in the USA since specifically focusing on the 2nd Amendment and its original framework.
Research Question: Is the current legal framework still appropriate for protecting journalists in today’s conflict zones?
Research Aim: The primary body of law that is set out to protect journalists includes the Geneva Conventions and their additional Protocols. However, since the time they have been drafted and decades after, there have been conspicuous changes to the way warfare is conducted. It is imperative to examine this body of law in order to improve it as journalists have now become prime targets in war zones and conflict areas because of their profession.
Research Aim: Employment or labour law has always been under the limelight. Many critiques and researchers have proposed different amendments to the existing law pertaining to labour and employee. The main aim of the research is to critically analyse the employment law of disabled individuals in the UK along with effective recommendations that need to be made in order to make the existing law more efficient and effective.
Research Aim: Racial discrimination has always been a controversial issue in almost every part of the World. However, many developed countries (companies) face severe racial discrimination issues that directly impact their name and brand value. Therefore, this research provides a critical evaluation of the racial discrimination laws, particularly in developed countries. Moreover, the research will be focusing on how racial discrimination laws are impacting the workplace environment.
Research Aim: Domestic laws basically deal with and provide criminal rules for punishing individuals who have physically or emotionally harmed their own family members. It has been found out that many domestic cases of abuse are not reported to the concerned authority. Due to this reason, the main focus of the research is to conduct a comparative analysis of legislation, policy, and guidelines of domestic abuse between the UK and the USA and how effective both the countries have been to minimise domestic abuse.
Research Aim: Intellectual property has gained significant importance after the emergence of counterfeit products coming from different parts of the world. It has been found out that many factors have motivated the sale of counterfeit products. Therefore, this research aims at analysing the negative impact of technology in protecting the intellectual property rights of products and corporations.
Research Aim: Since the incident of 9/11, the entire world has been under the pressure of terrorism activities, especially Muslims living around the world. Therefore, this research intends to critically assess the terrorism act of 2010 and its impact on Muslims living around the globe.
Trust Law Dissertation Topics
The trust law requires the settler to meet the three certainties, including the object, intention, and subject matter. As posted to a moral obligation or mere gift, confidence of choice can be best described as clarity of purpose. Some interesting dissertation topics in the field of trust law are listed below:
- To investigate the attitude of the courts to trusts supporting political agendas.
- To identify and discuss principles on which half-secret and full secret trusts are enforced? Does a literature review highlight circumstances where it is essential to consider whether such beliefs are constructive and express?
- The role and impact of trust law as asset portioning and fiduciary governance
- From law to faith: Letting go of secret trusts
- Critical analysis of the statement “Traditionally, equity and the law of trusts have been concerned with providing justice to balance out the rigour of the common law” regarding modern equity development/operation.
- Should the assumption of resulting trusts and progression be abolished in this modern age? A critical review of the literature
- A critical examination of the courts’ concern of financial reward in the context of “trustee powers of investment”
- Does the doctrine of cypress do justice to the intentions of the testator?
- The impact of the decision of Harrison v Gibson on the law of the clarity of intention?
- The approval of trustees in the Zimbabwean law of trusts
Want more? Read this.
How Can Research Prospect Help?
Research Prospect writers can send several custom topic ideas to your email address. Once you have chosen a topic that suits your needs and interests, you can order for our dissertation outline service which will include a brief introduction to the topic, research questions, literature review, methodology, expected results, and conclusion. The dissertation outline will enable you to review the quality of our work before placing the order for our full dissertation writing service!
European Law Dissertation Topics
European law has recently attracted wide attention from the academic world, thanks to the growing influence of European Law on administrative law in EU members. It should be noted that every aspect of life in European states is significantly affected by European law, and therefore this area of research has gained tremendous popularity. Some exciting and specific research areas are given below:
- A critical review of the European anti-discrimination Law
- To investigate the economics and history of European Law.
- An investigation of the European human rights law
- Investigating the impact of “Freedom of Speech” on the German economy
- Investigating the impact of immigration laws on the German economy
- How the French parliamentary sovereignty has been affected by the European Union
- Uniform interpretation of European patent law with a unique view on the creation of a standard patent court
- The impact of European consensus in the jurisprudence of the European court of human rights
- The impact of the European convention on human rights on the international human rights law
- A critical analysis of the tensions between European trade and social policy
- To investigate the European Union’s enforcement actions and policies against member countries.
- European Laws amidst the Brexit process
Family Law Dissertation Topics
A wide range of topics are covered under the field of family law and the law of children. Essentially, this area of law takes into consideration the registration of marriages, statutory rights concerning marriage, the effects of a decree, void and voidable marriages, the impact of the Human Rights Act, the legal stature of unmarried and married individuals, and the case for reform of UK family law. Other research areas include enforcing financial responsibilities in the Magistrates court, enforcing the arrears of maintenance payments, the award of maintenance, enforcing financial obligations to children or a child, financial orders for children, and the Child Support Act. An extremely intriguing area of law that has gained tremendous popularity in the modern era, some specific dissertation topics in this area of law studies are listed below:
- Investigating therapeutic and theoretical approaches to deal with spouse abuse in light of the UK government’s latest research on domestic violence
- Unmarried fathers’ access to parental responsibility – Does the current law enforce rights and responsibilities towards children?
- To study the criminal justice process involving a child witness.
- The children’s right to participation – Rhetoric or Reality? – A critical review of literature from the past two decades
- To study the position of unmarried fathers in the UK.
- Does the UK Family law need a major reform?
- A critical review of the rights of married women in real estate
- Child welfare and the role of local authorities
- To study the legal and social foundations of parenting, civil partnership, and marriage.
- To examine whether the Child Support Act has positively influenced child maintenance?
Employment Law Dissertation Topics
Employment and equality law governs the relationship between the government, trade unions, employers, and employees. Employment and equality law in the UK is a body of law that prevents bias and negative attitudes towards someone based on their ethnicity or race rather than work skills and experience. Some interesting dissertation topics in this area of law are below:
- A critical investigation of the right to fair labor practices in the United Kingdom
- To determine the job’s inherent requirements as a defence to unfair discrimination or a claim – A comparison between the United Kingdom and Canada.
- The role of the South African Labour Relations Act in providing unhappy staff sufficient protection against unfair dismissals and discrimination at the workplace
- To investigate the impact of HIV/AIDS on employees’ lives with a focus on unfair dismissal and discrimination.
- To assess ethnic discrimination in the European Union: Derogations from the ban on discrimination – Sexual harassment – Equal pay for equal value work.
- To study the international employment contract – Regulation, perception, and reality.
- To identify and discuss challenges associated with equality at work.
- A study of the legal aspects of the relationship between employer and employee
- How influential is the role of trade unions in English employment law?
- A critical review of discrimination policies in the UK
Commercial Law Dissertation Topics
Commercial law, also known as business law, is the whole body of substantive jurisprudence applicable to the conduct, relations, and rights of sales, trade, merchandising, and businesses and persons associated with commerce. Important issues of law covered by commercial law include real estate, secured transactions, credit transactions, bankruptcy, banking, and contracts. An intriguing area of law within the UK, specific topics for your law dissertation are listed below:
- The impact of legislation for the regulation of investments services with EU economic area on the EU financial services market
- Handling regulatory involvement incorporates organisational structure and strategy.
- A study of convergence and complementarities concerning international corporate governance
- How drafting and diffusion of uniform norms can help to harmonise the law of international commercial arbitration?
- Convergence and adaption in corporate governance to transnational standards in India
- A critical review of the international commercial arbitration system
- Analysing the international commercial law on risk transfer
- The role of the tripartite financial system in the UK on economic development
- A comparative analysis of European contract law, international commercial contracts law, and English commercial contracts law
- Is the European contracts law meeting the needs of the commercial community?
- A critical review of anti-corruption legislation in the UK
- The problems of director accountability in the UK and the impact of soft and hard law on corporate governance
Criminal and Evidence Law Dissertation Topics
Criminal law can be defined as a system of law dealing with the punishment of criminals. Criminal evidence, on the other hand, concerns evidence/testimony presented in relation to criminal charges. Evidence can be presented in various forms in order to prove and establish crimes. A wide array of topics can be covered in this subject area. To help you narrow down your research focus, some interesting topics are suggested below:
- The politics of criminal law reform with a focus on lower-court decision making
- To understand and establish the historical relationship between human rights and Islamic criminal law
- Investigating the rights of victims in internal criminal courts
- The efficacy of the law of rape in order to prevent misuse by bogus victims and to protect rightful victims
- To assess the criminal law’s approach to Omissions
- To investigate the issues associated with the identification of the distribution, extent, and nature of the crime
- A critical review of the Bad Samaritan laws and the law of omissions liability
- How international criminal law has been significant influenced by the “war on terrors”?
- The efficacy of modern approaches to the definition of intention in International criminal law
- The efficacy of the law of corporate manslaughter
Company Law Dissertation Topics
Company law, also known as the law of business associations, is the body of law that deals with business organisations and their formation, registration, incorporation, governance, dissolution, and administration. Some suggestions for company law dissertation topics are listed below:
- Developing equity markets in growing economies and the importance of corporate law
- A critical review of English company law and its effects on member workers and creditors
- To investigate the essential aspects of corporate law.
- To study business responsibilities for human rights.
- Identifying disparities in corporate governance – Theories and Realities
- The external relations of company groups in Zambian Corporate law
- To study corporate governance practices concerning the minority stakeholders.
- Establishing and evaluating arguments for and against “stakeholder theory.”
- The importance of non-executive directors in the British corporate legal system
- Investigating the regulation of the UK public company
Hire an Expert Writer
Orders completed by our expert writers are
- Formally drafted in academic style
- Free Amendments and 100% Plagiarism Free – or your money back!
- 100% Confidential and Timely Delivery!
- Free anti-plagiarism report
- Appreciated by thousands of clients. Check client reviews
Intellectual Property and Tort Law Dissertation topics
All forms of legal injury are dealt with under the subject area of tort law. Essentially, tort law helps to establish the circumstances whereby a person may be held responsible for another person’s injury caused by either accident on intentional acts. On the other hand, intellectual property covers areas of law such as copyright, patents, and trademark. Trademark dissertation topics trademarks directive, trademarks act, infringement of trademarks such as revocation, invalidity, and the use of similar marks. Some interesting dissertation ideas and topics of tort law and intellectual property are suggested below to help your law studies.
- The efficacy of intellectual property rights in the UK under influence of European Law
- The efficacy of UK copyright law concerning the needs of rights users and holders
- The impact of intellectual property right on economic development
- To investigate the right of confidence in the UK
- Does the trademark law ensure sufficient protection in England?
- The impact of European Law on intellectual property rights in the UK
- The end of the road for loss of a chance?
- To assess the success ratio of psychiatric injury claims in the UK
- Should a no-fault system be implemented into UK law or should the law of negligence apply to personal injury claims?
- A critical review of economic loss in 21stcentury tort law
Human Rights and Immigration Law
The primary objective of human rights and immigration law is to ensure and protect human rights at domestic, regional, and international levels. With the world becoming a global village, human rights and immigration laws have attracted significant attention from academicians and policymakers. Some interesting law dissertation topics in this subject area are suggested below:
- To assess the efficacy of the common European Asylum system in terms of immigration detention.
- A historical analysis of Britain’s immigration and asylum policies
- A critical analysis of immigration policy in Britain since 1990
- A critical analysis of the right of the police and the public right to protest under PACE 1984
- The right of prisoners to vote under the European law of human rights
- Arguments for and against the death penalty in English Law with a focus on human rights treatise
- A critical analysis of the right to private life and family for failed asylum seekers
- The impact of UK immigration policies on the current education industry
- How beneficial the points system has really been in regards to create a cap in the British immigration system
- To study the impact of privatisation on immigration detention and related functions in the UK.
Pandemic Law Dissertation Topics
Coronavirus, also known as the Covid-19, has become the most trending topic in the world since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic that started in China. Here are some interesting Corona Virus or Covid 19 Pandemic Law topics that you can consider for your law dissertation.
- Co-parenting in the coronavirus pandemic: A family law scholar’s advice
- How San Diego law enforcement operated amid Coronavirus pandemic
- Pandemic preparedness in the workplace and the British with disabilities act
- Why In a pandemic, rumors of martial Law fly despite reassurances
- Investigating About the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and COVID-19
- Resources to support workers in the UK during the Coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic:
- A legal perspective
- Navigating the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) and employment laws in the UK going forward
- Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) and employment laws in the US going forward
- Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) and employment laws in Australia going forward
More Law Dissertation Topics
- A critical analysis of the employment law of disabled individuals in the UK and what new policies can be integrated to increase its efficiency
- A critical evaluation of racial discrimination laws in developed countries and how it impacts the workplace environment
- A comparative analysis of domestic abuse with the legislation, policy, and domestic abuse guidelines between the UK and USA.
- Analysing the negative impact of technology in protecting the intellectual property rights of corporations.
- A critical assessment of the terrorism act of 2010 and its impact on Muslims living around the Globe.
As a law dissertation student looking to get good grades, it is essential to develop new ideas and experiment with existing law dissertation theories – i.e., to add value and interest in the topic of your research.
The field of law dissertation is vast and interrelated to many other academic disciplines like civil engineering, construction, project management, engineering management, healthcare, mental health, artificial intelligence, tourism, physiotherapy, sociology, management, project management, and nursing. That is why it is imperative to create a project management dissertation topic that is articular, sound, and actually solves a practical problem that may be rampant in the field.
We can’t stress how important it is to develop a logical research topic based on your fundamental research. There are several significant downfalls to getting your case wrong; your supervisor may not be interested in working on it, the topic has no academic creditability, the research may not make logical sense, and there is a possibility that the study is not viable.
This impacts your time and efforts in writing your dissertation as you may end up in the cycle of rejection at the initial stage of the dissertation. That is why we recommend reviewing existing research to develop a topic, taking advice from your supervisor, and even asking for help in this particular stage of your dissertation.
While developing a research topic, keeping our advice in mind will allow you to pick one of the best law dissertation topics that fulfill your requirement of writing a research paper and add to the body of knowledge.
Therefore, it is recommended that when finalising your dissertation topic, you read recently published literature to identify gaps in the research that you may help fill.
Remember- dissertation topics need to be unique, solve an identified problem, be logical, and be practically implemented. Please look at some of our sample law dissertation topics to get an idea for your dissertation.
How to Structure your Law Dissertation
A well-structured dissertation can help students to achieve a high overall academic grade.
- A Title Page
- Abstract: A summary of the research completed
- Table of Contents
- Introduction: This chapter includes project rationale, research background, key research aims and objectives, and the research problems. An outline of the structure of a dissertation can also be added to this chapter.
- Literature Review: This chapter presents relevant theories and frameworks by analysing published and unpublished literature available on the chosen research topic to address research questions. The purpose is to highlight and discuss the selected research area’s relative weaknesses and strengths while identifying any research gaps. Break down the topic, and binding terms can positively impact your dissertation and your tutor.
- Methodology: The data collection and analysis methods and techniques employed by the researcher are presented in the Methodology chapter which usually includes research design, research philosophy, research limitations, code of conduct, ethical consideration, data collection methods and data analysis strategy.
- Findings and Analysis: Findings of the research are analysed in detail under the Findings and Analysis chapter. All key findings/results are outlined in this chapter without interpreting the data or drawing any conclusions. It can be useful to include graphs, charts and tables in this chapter to identify meaningful trends and relationships.
- Discussion and Conclusion: The researcher presents his interpretation of the results in this chapter, and states whether the research hypothesis has been verified or not. An essential aspect of this section is establishing the link between the products and evidence from the literature. Recommendations with regards to implications of the findings and directions for future may also be provided. Finally, a summary of the overall research, along with final judgments, opinions, and comments, must be included in the form of suggestions for improvement.
- References: Make sure to complete this by your University’s requirements
- Appendices: Any additional information, diagrams, and graphs used to complete the dissertation but not part of the dissertation should be included in the Appendices chapter. Essentially, the purpose is to expand the information/data.
About Research Prospect Ltd
Research Prospect is the world’s most trusted academic writing service that provides help with Dissertation Proposal Writing, PhD Proposal Writing, Dissertation Writing, Dissertation Editing, and Improvement.
Our team of writers is highly qualified. They are experts in their respective fields. They have been working for us for a long time. Thus, they are well aware of the issues and the trends of the subject they specialise in.
Need more Topics.?
Review Our Best Dissertation Topics For 2022 Complete List.
Frequently Asked Questions
To find law dissertation topics:
- Research recent legal developments.
- Explore unresolved issues or debates.
- Analyze gaps in existing literature.
- Consider societal or technological influences.
- Consult professors and peers.
- Select a topic aligning with your passion and career aspirations.