Operations Management Dissertation Topics
Published byat August 13th, 2021 , Revised On November 17, 2022
Selecting an appropriate is perhaps the most important aspect of the dissertation module. Students spend months and years (in the case of a PhD) on their dissertation projects. Therefore, it is critical to choose an interesting but manageable topic of research. Selecting the right topic can also help complete the paper to the highest quality and within the allocated deadline framework.
This article aims to provide comprehensive support in the selection of a suitable operations management dissertation topic. All of the topics presented in this piece are carefully short-listed on the basis of the following important factors;
- A topic must have a recent research interest/popularity in academics
- Data must be available to analyse the recent research; to develop a case of research in the form of a step forward (contribution factor)
- Topic must be manageable with respect to the availability of time and resources
- The chosen topic should encourage the students to explore and investigate to further the research in their preferred area
Writers’ suggestion: Before selecting a topic, outline the type of research you intend to undertake given the available time and monetary resources; such as whether to perform primary or secondary and qualitative or quantitative. For example, you might not be able to conduct a cross-national survey based on primary research, as it can turn out to be a difficult and unmanageable task.
Therefore, it is important to select a topic which you can manage within the given resources; to produce high-quality results that would eventually lead to a high academic score. The following topics are much emphasised in today’s academic world, and you can rely on these topics with utmost trust.
Some of these topics can also include primary research, which may include conducting interviews and/or questionnaire with industry practitioners to suggest the most efficient systems and o present the pros and cons of each system based on the data obtained through primary research.
These operations management dissertation topics have been developed by PhD qualified writers of our team, so you can trust to use these topics for drafting your dissertation.
You may also want to start your dissertation by requesting a brief research proposal from our writers on any of these topics, which includes an introduction to the topic, research question, aim and objectives, literature review along with the proposed methodology of research to be conducted. Let us know if you need any help in getting started.
Review the full list of dissertation topics for 2022 here.
2022 Operations and Management Research Topics
Topic 1: Investigating the risks associated with green technology in the Chinese construction industry.
Research Aim: This research study aims to investigate the challenges that project managers faced while managing the Chinese green technology construction projects and the risk associated with it. This study will also examine the relationship between the challenges related to green construction and its impact on its success and will also find improvement in the development of green technology.
Topic 2: Analyzing the operational risk in outsourcing software projects for international companies.
Research Aim: The concept of outsourcing is a trending topic nowadays. This research study aims to find the operational risk perceived in the process of outsourcing software projects in international companies and how they eliminate operational risks during the process.
A conceptual framework will be utilized to investigate the risks for strategic IT system development outsourcing projects.
Topic 3: How do the merger and acquisition of a company affect the performance of its employees? An exploratory study identifying the factors that affect employees performance. A case study of (Any company or companies can be studied)
Research Aim: This research aims to find the impact of the merger and acquisition of a company on its employees’ performance. This research will use a company or companies as a case study that went through a merger and acquisition. To identify different factors that affect the performance of employees during and after merger and acquisition. And after identifying those factors and their impact on the performance of employees. The research will also recommend possible ways to minimize the impacts of those factors on employees’ performance.
Research Aim: This research aims to find the impact of companies’ strategic management on their financial performance. This study will use indicators suggested by extensive literature in strategic management to gauge the strategic planning done by these companies. The study will then identify up to what extent those indicators affect the companies’ financial performance under observation. And based on the results, the study will recommend improvement in the areas that can improve the strategic management of those companies. That, in consequence, will improve the financial performance of those companies.
Topic 5: Analyzing the operational risks associated with the manufacturing of automobiles and the role of plant managers in reducing these risks.
Research Aim: This research study aims to identify and analyze the risks that are faced by businesses during the manufacturing of automobiles and vehicles. And how plant managers proposed effective strategies to reduce these risks. In this study, a conceptual framework of the operational model of management will help increase the overall effectiveness of automobile industries.
Topic 6: An assessment of the Company's tradeoff between innovation and uniformity- A case study of UK IT sector.
Research Aim: The primary goal of this study is to conduct an analysis of a company’s tradeoff between innovation and uniformity. This study will explore different components of the United Kingdom IT sector. It will give us an understanding of the importance of innovation and uniformity from a theoretical perspective and also examine the risk factor involved in the united kingdom’s IT sector.
Research Aim: The main goal of this study is to examine various forecasting methodologies used in operation management. Furthermore, this research offers insight on product operation management and what contributes to making it more effective. In addition, this study will look at the aspects and effects of various approaches utilised in product operation management.
Topic 8: An examination of the Effectiveness of RBT in strategic operation management in the UK manufacturing industry.
Research Aim: The study aims to evaluate the effectiveness of RBT in strategic operation management in the United Kingdom manufacturing industry. This study highlights the effectiveness and also discusses the benefits and drawbacks of strategic operation management in the UK manufacturing industry. Furthermore, it also highlights the importance of RBT in the UK manufacturing industry.
Research Aim: In this study, we will analyse different previous studies on humanitarian operation management to find its importance. This study will also look at different methodologies used in humanitarian operations. Different scientific advancements and technologies will also be covered in this study.
Topic 10: A study to Determine if Operations Management solutions Effectively meet the needs of Home Care organizations- An International Perspective.
Research Aim: The main goal of this research is to perform a comprehensive analysis of operational management activities in order to properly comprehend and evaluate them in order to determine the efficiency of various regularly employed strategies. It will also identify key methods utilised in operational management activities and how these solutions are implemented worldwide by home care companies; and how these methods will have an impact on home care organizations, and determine if they will have a favourable or bad impact.
Covid-19 Operations and Management Research Topics
Research Aim: As the Coronavirus, the outbreak has resulted in the shortage of essential supplies, including safety equipment, diagnostic and clinical management. WHO (world health organisation) has organised a supply chain task force team (COVID supply chain system). This study will identify the details of this supply chain system and discuss how it works.
Research Aim: As a result of COVID-19, industries are facing a lack of resources and staff. This situation calls for Intelligent operation management for continuity of the operation during this challenging situation. This study will analyse how Intelligent operation management works during COVID-19 discussing its advantages, challenges, and possible solutions to improve it.
Operations Management Dissertation Topics for 2021
Research Aim: This research aims to identify the impact of JIT on improving the supply chain efficiency of large retail outlets
Research Aim: This research aims to assess and compare the operation management strategies B2B and B2C business model
Topic 3: The role of ICT (Information and Communication Technology) in SCM (Supply Chain Management)
Research Aim: This research aims to identify the role of Information and Communication Technology in Supply Chain Management.
Research Aim: This research aims to identify the role of total quality management as a competitive advantage.
Operations Management Dissertation Topics for 2021
Topic 1: Analysing the impact of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) on improving business operations of multinational companies.
Research Aim: The main purpose of this research will be to highlight the major benefits of ERP, which can facilitate multinational organisations to help in conducting business operations productively and effectively. The researcher will identify major factors of ERP that can be related to the effective execution of business operations while increasing the overall productivity and efficiency of the business.
Topic 2: Impact of Just-in-time (JIT) inventory on improving supply chain efficiency of large retail outlets
Research Aim: The researcher will identify the major advantages as well as disadvantages of using Just-in-time (JIT) inventory on supply chain operations of the major retail outlets. In this study, the researcher will highlight major factors of Just-in-time (JIT) inventory that may directly or indirectly influence the effectiveness of the supply chain of large retail outlets while proposing recommendations to retail companies to increase the effectiveness and productivity of the company.
Topic 3: Analysing the pros and cons of outsourcing logistic operation activities in the construction industry of the UK
Research Aim: The main purpose of this qualitative-natured study will be to identify major advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing logistic operation activities while focusing on its implementation in the construction industries of the UK.
Topic 4: Assessing and comparing the operations management strategies of B2B and B2C business models
Research Aim: The researcher aims to discover prompt operations management strategies that are being utilised by major B2B and B2C companies while taking examples of major key players in each of the business models. After identification, the researcher will compare those strategies and recommends the best strategies and practices that can be utilised by each of the business model discussed in the study.
Topic 5: Analysing the operational risks involved in the manufacturing of automobiles and how can plant managers minimise these risks
Research Aim: The main aim of this study will be to identify and analyse the major risks that can be experienced by companies during the manufacturing of automobiles and vehicles while proposing effective strategies that can be used by plant managers to reduce these risks. In this study, the researcher will use a conceptual model of operational management, which helps increase the overall effectiveness of automobile industries.
How Can Research Prospect Help?
Research Prospect writers can send several custom topic ideas to your email address. Once you have chosen a topic that suits your needs and interests, you can order for our dissertation outline service which will include a brief introduction to the topic, research questions, literature review, methodology, expected results, and conclusion. The dissertation outline will enable you to review the quality of our work before placing the order for our full dissertation writing service!
Supply Chain Management Dissertation Topics
The supply chain is considered one of the most important aspects of business in any organisation, as optimum management in the supply chain leads to successful business operations. Therefore, it is pivotal for organisations to constantly enhance processes and techniques of the supply chain which involve control, measurements, troubleshooting, adaptability, and innovation of new solutions. The following research topics are suggested for dissertation writing in the field of supply chain management;
- Supply chain management and the related legal frameworks; Investigating the practices of the UK’s industrial sector
- Strengths and weaknesses of the supply chain are large and diversified business organisations
- The role of supply chain in manufacturing industry of the UK; A comprehensive study to evaluate the impact of supply chain management
- Influence of state of the art technology aided systems on supply chain management
- Impact of information technology on supply chain management
- Case study of Dell, IMB and other supply chain control management systems being employed worldwide by large scale organizations
- Supply chain management and e-commerce
- The role of ICT in supply chain management
Lean Manufacturing Dissertation Topics
The lean concepts are still young and in the stage of steady development. New concepts are coming into practice as the efficacy of the old ones continues to diminish. Research ideas that have been much emphasised in recent research studies include Total Quality Control (TQC), Total Quality Management (TQM), Just in Time (JIT), and Total productivity maintenance (TPM). Some interesting topics under this subject are listed below;
- The influence of the lean manufacturing techniques in operations management
- Analyses of lean manufacturing techniques; Review of the most influential techniques currently being employed in theUK’ss manufacturing Industry; an inside perspective (This may include primary research in which the actual users of different techniques will be requested to provide their views on the impact of different techniques and to recommend which of the techniques can be best used to enhance industry productivity and performance)
- Total quality management as a competitive advantage; A case study of the UK’s industry (Dell/HP/Other)
- The relationship between quality management and client Satisfaction; A case of the UK’s construction/manufacturing Industry (This can also include primary research from the perspective of clients/buyers who can be questioned regarding their experience of the construction quality they obtained. The data could then be used to provide key recommendations for quality management)
- Practical implementation of lean manufacturing techniques; A review of how business organisations have successfully adopted various techniques
- Influence of new technology on lean manufacturing techniques; such as the use of Business Information Modeling (BIM), SAP, and other tools for enhancement of quality and productivity
- Evolution of quality from the perspective of the development of lean manufacturing techniques; A study on how industries have been shaped by lean concepts in the past and visualizing the future SOPs
Inventory Management Dissertation Topics
Inventory Management is another important component of supply Chain Management. A considerable amount of research has been conducted in this field of study in recent times, which highlights the need to establish effective processing techniques and systems so that business organisations can effectively measure/manage operations of their respective industries.
Optimum inventory management enables control of costs, time, productivity and delivery; the elements which are considered to be the pillars of any industry. The following topics are presented for dissertation writing on inventory management:
- The influence of optimum inventory management on supply chain management; A study on how effective inventory management systems can help to establish high performing supply management systems in an industry
- Analyses of inventory management systems being employed in the UK industries
- The impact of latest technological developments on inventory management systems; A case study of the UK’s manufacturing Industry
- Inventory management systems in manufacturing industry; Methods, benefits, challenges and opportunities
- Case study on inventory management in retail; A case study of ASDA/TESCO/SAINSBURURY. (Primary research based: Data from different stores can be collected, and compared)
- The impact of Just in Time (JIT) on the UK’s inventory management systems
- Adoptability of JIT inventory management in the UK
- E-commerce inventory management systems
Product Development Dissertation Topics
New Product Development (NPD) and the role of Research and Development (R&D) in the process of product development has remained a focus of research and a trigger for intense academic debate in the last many years.
The most notable elements of product development include; new concept developments, new product designs, product engineering, and market analyses and research.
Many organizations continually surge to develop new products and add these to their product- pipelines to earn additional profits. From the consumer perspective, NPD enhances the brand image and provides a research and development edge to business organisations.
- Evaluating the process of product development; The need and implications
- Strategies of product development and the product mix
- Strategies of product development in various Industries – A case study of a company of your choice. This can also include primary research where different systems can be compared and data analysed.
- The role of latest technological advancements and computer-aided systems in product development; A case study of the UK’s research and development industry
Production Planning / Scheduling Dissertation Topics
Production planning and scheduling are considered one of the most crucial aspects of the manufacturing industry because it helps to maintain optimum levels of productivity in accordance with the production plans. Production scheduling has a direct influence on the production business, as it impacts the fundamental elements of production and services such as; production lead times, quality maintenance, and maintenance of supply & demand, and overall client satisfaction. Therefore, research in the field of production planning has been much prioritized in modern times and efforts have been made to develop integrated systems that incorporate various variables and elements of the production plan. Following are some of the selected topics that can be chosen for further research and dissertations;
- Production Scheduling Analysis; A review of techniques employed in UK’s Manufacturing Industry
- Analyses of Production Scheduling/Planning Techniques in Different Manufacturing Industries (Car Industry/Process industry/Steel Industry/Cement Industry)
- Production Scheduling/Planning Techniques and Profitability of Different Manufacturing Industries (Car Industry/Process industry/Steel Industry/Cement Industry)
- The Role of Latest Technological Advancements and Computer Aided Systems in Production Scheduling
- The Role of Information Technology and Innovation in Production Scheduling
Supply Chain Management and Manufacturing Strategy Dissertation Topics
Supply Chain Management (SCM) is a systematic operation that facilitates the manufacturing of a product from raw materials. The manufacturing strategy includes the methods of producing goods and is designed in accordance with the business objectives. Some latest supply chain management and manufacturing strategy dissertation topics are given below;
- Manufacturing strategy; Investigating the importance of optimized manufacturing strategy for successful business operations
- Review of manufacturing strategies of the UK’s automobile industry/ process industry/ manufacturing Industry / Any other industry of your choice.
- The impact of new technologies on development of optimised manufacturing strategies and techniques
- Supply chain management; Investigating the importance of optimized supply chain management techniques for a successful business operations
- Examining supply chain management strategies of UK’s automobile industry / process industry / manufacturing Industry / Any other industry of your choice
- Use of latest technologies for efficient supply chain management over the last decade (This may include primary research where data would be obtained from the practitioners of manufacturing/other industry via e-mail, interviews and/or questionnaire)
Risk Management Dissertation Topics
Industrial risk management is one of the most researched topics of recent times. Almost every engineering or financial activity involves risks in terms of their consequences and probabilities. The course of the future cannot be fully predicted. Of course, however, various actions can be undertaken to manage/mitigate these risks.
Analysis of various factors that can contribute to the risks; such as political influence, oil prices, and exchange rates, equipment performance characteristics, availability of resources, local conditions/environment and etc., can lead to the development of optimised risk management systems for improved project performance.
- Investigating the risk management systems of construction industry / automobile Industry / pharma Industry / banking Industry / retail Industry
- Risk management in construction industry; How construction industry can mitigate different types of risks
- Analyses of factors that contribute to risk in industrial operations; Developing guidelines/best practices to manage industrial risks
- Risk management and the use of advanced technological tools: Is technology really helping to mitigate risks? (This may include Use of primary data to find out if the use of computer aided tools have helped the industry to mitigate risks)
- Risk management methodologies; A review of different methods of risk management employed in the UK
- Risk Management for contractors in Saudi Arabian Construction Industry
- Examining risks associated with green technology in Chinese construction industry
- Managing environmental risks in chinese construction industry
Service Design Dissertation Topics
The efficient management of infrastructures, communications systems, components, materials, and human resources holds the key to improved quality of services. Therefore, it is extremely important to optimise service planning because it can ensure profitability as well as productivity for the service provider. Following are some service design dissertation topics that may concern the students;
- The impact of future technology on service design
- Service design analyses of Dell/HP/Other
- Service design analyses of the UK’s food chain Industry
- E-commerce web services design and implications
- Service organisation’s fundamental design requirements & marketing strategies
- Innovative solutions in service design
Hire an Expert Writer
Orders completed by our expert writers are
- Formally drafted in academic style
- Free Amendments and 100% Plagiarism Free – or your money back!
- 100% Confidential and Timely Delivery!
- Free anti-plagiarism report
- Appreciated by thousands of clients. Check client reviews
Logistics Dissertation Topics
Logistics is a critical operations management system that helps to manage the flow of goods or services from start till the end. Logistics involves operations such as supply chain management, procurement, transportation, inventory, material handling, packaging, and integration of information between different teams. Some interesting topics for Logistics dissertations are listed below:
- Logistics operations; An evaluation of the logistics management systems in the UK’s a construction/manufacturing / another sector of your choice
- Impact of intermodal international logistics on the operation of the UK’s a construction/manufacturing / another sector of your choice
- Review of logistic management principles and practices employed by the UK‘s industrial sector
- Optimization of logistics management systems; A review of best practices and procedures
- Case study analyses; A review of the Logistics Management in TESCO/ASDA/Sainsbury/Other; Is there a competitive advantage?
- Impact of the latest technology on logistics management
Other Popular Topics in Operations Management
- Analyses of different methods of procurement systems
- The Role of government in the development of sustainable operations management
- The key to Success: Analyses of vision 2030 and vision 2050 with respect to operations management practices of future
- Comparison of operations management techniques used in both developed and developing countries; Lesson learnt from the past
- The role of operations Management in successful completion of projects
- How BIM has influenced the modern operations management systems in construction industry
As a student of operations management looking to get good grades, it is essential to develop new ideas and experiment with existing operations management theories – i.e., to add value and interest to your research topic.
The field of operations management is vast and interrelated to so many other academic disciplines like business, management, marketing, project management, and more. That is why it is imperative to create an operations management dissertation topic that is particular, sound, and actually solves a practical problem that may be rampant in the field.
We can’t stress how important it is to develop a logical research topic; it is the basis of your entire research. There are several significant downfalls to getting your topic wrong; your supervisor may not be interested in working on it, the topic has no academic creditability, the research may not make logical sense, and there is a possibility that the study is not viable.
This impacts your time and efforts in writing your dissertation as you may end up in the cycle of rejection at the very initial stage of the dissertation. That is why we recommend reviewing existing research to develop a topic, taking advice from your supervisor, and even asking for help in this particular stage of your dissertation.
Keeping our advice in mind while developing a research topic will allow you to pick one of the best operations management dissertation topics that not only fulfill your requirement of writing a research paper but also add to the body of knowledge.
Therefore, it is recommended that when finalizing your dissertation topic, you read recently published literature to identify gaps in the research that you may help fill.
Remember- dissertation topics need to be unique, solve an identified problem, be logical, and can also be practically implemented. Take a look at some of our sample operations management dissertation topics to get an idea for your own dissertation.
How to Structure your Operations Management Dissertation
A well-structured dissertation can help students to achieve a high overall academic grade.
- A Title Page
- Abstract: A summary of the research completed
- Table of Contents
- Introduction: This chapter includes the project rationale, research background, key research aims and objectives, and the research problems to be addressed. An outline of the structure of a dissertation can also be added to this chapter.
- Literature Review: This chapter presents relevant theories and frameworks by analysing published and unpublished literature available on the chosen research topic, in light of research questions to be addressed. The purpose is to highlight and discuss the relative weaknesses and strengths of the selected research area whilst identifying any research gaps. Break down of the topic, and key terms can have a positive impact on your dissertation and your tutor.
- Methodology: The data collection and analysis methods and techniques employed by the researcher are presented in the Methodology chapter which usually includes research design, research philosophy, research limitations, code of conduct, ethical consideration, data collection methods, and data analysis strategy.
- Findings and Analysis: Findings of the research are analysed in detail under the Findings and Analysis chapter. All key findings/results are outlined in this chapter without interpreting the data or drawing any conclusions. It can be useful to include graphs, charts, and tables in this chapter to identify meaningful trends and relationships.
- Discussion and Conclusion: The researcher presents his interpretation of the results in this chapter, and states whether the research hypothesis has been verified or not. An essential aspect of this section of the paper is to draw a linkage between the results and evidence from the literature. Recommendations with regards to implications of the findings and directions for the future may also be provided. Finally, a summary of the overall research, along with final judgments, opinions, and comments, must be included in the form of suggestions for improvement.
- References: This should be completed in accordance with your University’s requirements
- Appendices: Any additional information, diagrams, or graphs that were used to complete the dissertation but not part of the dissertation should be included in the Appendices chapter. Essentially, the purpose is to expand the information/data.
About Research Prospect Ltd
Our team of writers is highly qualified. They are experts in their respective fields. They have been working in the industry for a long time, thus are aware of the issues and trends of the industry they are working in.
Need more Topics.?