Selection of right and appropriate topic for writing a history dissertation is often a critical and a significant phenomenon. In this regard the understanding of a topic and how to critically evaluate it is an essential factor. Meaningful selection of the topic involves topics that allows the researcher to be have ample ways and means to prove his or her academic research and writing skills in the chosen area of research. There are some areas of concern in this perspective that can help the researcher to pick up one of the best dissertation topics, and these are attractiveness, originality, uniqueness, usefulness and its significance. It is important to select such dissertation topic whose findings and results hold paramount importance in practical world and must add on something worth mentioning in literature because otherwise there are a number of historical events but it’s all up to the researcher to have an eye for the best one.
History within itself is so vast and there are multiple historical events ranging from the prehistoric times to modern era. The selection of the topic will depend on what difference the researcher can make in a particular area of study. Maybe the researcher can select that angle of research that can give some twists and turns to an historical event considering reader’s point of view. This might also include some sort of investigative approach related to an event that took place in the past and the perspective was not discussed before. Here is a list of some of the topics that can be used as history dissertation topics:
“Our expert dissertation writers can help you with all stages of the dissertation writing process including topic research and selection, dissertation plan, dissertation proposal, methodology, statistical analysis, primary and secondary research, findings and analysis and complete dissertation writing. Learn more about Research Prospect dissertation writing services. “
Dissertation Topics from the Nineteenth Century
Under this category too there are a number of such issues and events that can be used for meaningful dissertation research. Moreover these topics are such that they hold paramount importance and can have further sub categories on which the researcher can focus on to make his or her research look more diverse and splendid in terms of originality and acceptance in practical fields. Here is a list of some of the topics which can be worked on:
- Events responsible for revolution in America. A critical analysis.
- Creation of new female identity, Case of First World War.
- Analysis of the French revolution with focus on the triumph of romanticism
- Modern Europe and life of an Egyptian. A debate on the major issues.
- Comparison of the Victorian era with modern era in terms of culture and society.
- Youth criminology versus UK government strategies and policies.
History and Religious Dissertations
This area of research combines theoretical perspectives of theology and history to analyse historical events and/or consequences. Through this choice of subject combination, you can also examine theological consequences or changes from the historic lens. For help in creating a dissertation in this field of study we have developed a few topics;
Topic 1: The Impact of Popular Culture on Evangelical Christians in America.
Research Aim: The research uses document analysis to examine the impact that popular culture has had in shaping Evangelical Christian thought in the United States from the 1960s to 2000s. The research focuses on analysing the variables that have allowed Evangelicalism to become a middle-class populist movement.
Topic 2: Fertility, Feminism, and the American Revolution
Research Aim: The research using document analysis, analyses the impact of the American Revolution on declining birth rates in the colonies and the increase of family limitation among white free women. The research will investigate the intentions of founding American women on their rejection of abundant fertility and a patriarchal family and the existent or non-existent role that colonial Christian played.
Topic 3: The Decline of Irrational and Magical Ideologies in England 1500-1600.
Research Aim: The research analyses how the introduction of religion, specifically early Christianity, had an impact of declining the common thought processes that used irrationality or magic as its basis. The research will use document analysis as its research method.
Topic 4: The Impact of Religion on Innovation, 1604.
Research Aim: The research examines how Sir Frances Bacon’s epistle “Of Innovations” argues for the positive potential of innovation from the understanding of the Biblical scriptures. The research will also explore the relationship between Bacon and the English Protestant Church.
Topic 5: The Role of Churches and Religion in World War II.
Research Aim: The research looks to examine the role of churches in Europe during WWII. The research will also analyse their religious ideologies and their deeds as institutions to impact the perceptions of World War II. The research will be conducted using document analysis.
If you are having trouble in searching for what to write or how to write, use our dissertation writing service in UK and get the grades you want.
History and Sociology Dissertations
This area of research combines theoretical perspectives of sociology and history to analyse historical events and/or consequences. Through this choice of subject combination, you can also examine sociological or societal consequences from the historic lens. To demonstrate this, we have brainstormed some of the following dissertation topics:
Topic 1: Race, Poverty, and Food Deserts in Cardiff, 1980-2016.
Research Aim: The research looks to examine the demographic and spatial patterns that have shaped access to supermarkets in low-income neighborhoods in Cardiff from 1980 to 2016. The research methods used will be quantitative.
Topic 2: Impact of World War II Rationing on British Cuisine
Research Aim: The research analyses the impact of rationing items by the British Ministry of Food on the foodie culture from the 1940’s to the 1980’s. The research uses variables of socio-economic classes and geographic locations of the country at the time to examine cultural impacts it had on the British palate during the time. The research methods will include quantitative and qualitative analysis.
Topic 3: Impact of Religious Doctrines and Ideologies on Racism and Racist Factions in the USA.
Research Aim: The research analyses the relationship between different Christian sects and racial prejudice among groups of Christians based on geographic location (North or South) in the United States after the 2016 Presidential elections. The research will be quantitative in nature but will incorporate qualitative techniques of historic document analysis to examine how racism in the country has changed since the Civil Rights Era of the United States.
Topic 4: The Historical Development and Impact of Public Transportation in Shanghai China, 1843-1937.
Research Aim: The research will analyse the impact of public transportation on the development of the urban landscape in Shanghai using the variables of tradition vs. modernity, state and social relationships, and technology and society relations. The research will provide an historical analysis of the city since the colonisation of the British and the Opium Wars to the 20th century. The research will use qualitative document analysis and quantitative techniques as the research methods.
Topic 5: The Impact of Water Resource Management, Technological Solutions and Urban Growth after World War II on Atlanta Georgia.
Research Aim: The purpose of the dissertation is to examine the origins of water related issues in Atlanta by discovering the challenges that public officials, activists, and engineers faced in the area in terms of planning and enacting an effective environmental policy after World War II in the metropolitan area of Atlanta. The research will use historical document analysis as its methodology.
Historic People and Events Dissertation Topics
In this regard different people in history whose life was linked to some sort of major events in the past can be critically analyzed and some major chunks of the research can be followed by questions such as:
- What was the main event and how it can relate to the present day life.
- Traits of a specific personality and how they lifted up the society with a boost of their efforts.
- Multiple success stories and how modern era government could use them as a tool for improvement in current system.
- Events related to the life of Johannes Gutenberg/ Queen Elizabeth/Napoleon III. An Analysis of the major events.
- The crusades; Emphasis on religion and politics
- The Renaissance; Emphasis on humanism.
- Black Death; Analyses of the causes, events and effects.
Also Read: History Dissertation Topics
Dissertation Topics under Italian Unification
One broad category can also be picked up such as Italian Unification which majorly focused on the social and political movement of Italian peninsula with a purpose to unify its various states. Some of the dissertation topics in this area of research are as follows:
- Problems faced by newly created unified Italian government and strategies to tackle them.
- Italian unification and the transformation brought in living standards.
- Italian unification and its achievements; A critical analysis.
- Italian unification and its causes; A critical analysis
“German Unification” Dissertation Topics
In this perspective too, research dissertations can be selected in similar way as the above mentioned category of “Italian Unification” Topics. Some of the topics that can be selected and worked on are listed as follows:
- Representation of the victory of German liberals in relation to “German Unification”.
- Success or a failure; Case of German unification.
- “German Unification” and its effects on the European Society at present.
- Importance of “German Unification”; Reasons and justifications.
- “German Unification” and the removal of divisions between society and Government. Discuss and analyze.
The First World War Dissertation Topics
This is a famous phenomenon of history. Most of the people might have heard about it but may not be familiar with the details related to it, so a researcher can pick up an area that people are not much familiar with and can explore the new dimensions associated with it in order to come up with something versatile and worth working on. Here is a list of some dissertation topics if you wish to base your history dissertation on the events of First World War:
- Reasons for rivalry and difference in opinions between the European nations; Analysis of the reasons and their outcomes.
- Emergence of war in Europe in relation to the circumstances and events of the rest of the world.
- First World War and change in the behavior of Germans towards Austria; A Critical Analysis on how this change led towards the outbreak of war.
- Achievements of the war: Success or a failure.
“The Great Depression” (Britain 1918-1939) Dissertation Topics
The Great depression period can also be studied and researched upon because this is a very interesting phenomenon of the British history and many a times overlooked by the world of academia. The Great Depression refers to the time period when Britain was faced with multiple problems as a result of the First World War, even though various technological advancements were also made during that period. Dissertation topics in this perspective of history can be selected based on the following events of the “Great Depression”:
- Fall of the labor Government 1924; Reasons and critical analysis
- Achievements and failures of Britain; A case study of “The Great Depression”.
- World economics in Relation to “The Great Depression” time period. Analysis.
- Conditions and circumstances for Britain during the World War. Critical analysis.
- “The Great Depression” and its negative impacts on Britain. Analysis.
- Strategies to resolve the problems imposed by “The Great Depression”. Critically Analyze.
- Factors outside Europe that led to the phenomenon of “The Great Depression”. Analysis.
- Hurdles in Government ways during “The Great Depression” and the extent of resolving issues. Critical analysis.
If you are having trouble in searching for what to write or how to write, use our dissertation writing service in UK and get the grades you deserve.
Second World War Dissertation Topics
History dissertation can also be based on the Second World War which in contrast to the First World War was considerably more advanced. A researcher can focus on one or two of the advancements or any other phenomenon of this Great War. Some of the dissertation topics that can be used chosen in this area of history are as follows:
- Reasons for the outbreak of Second World War. A debate on the major factors that were responsible for its emergence.
- The most defining event in terms of adding value to the result of war. Analysis of the selected event (s).
- Resolving of the Second World War through peaceful means. Analysis of the possible ways and means.
- Second World War in relation to Europe, study of the major impacts.
- Second World War and its impacts on the European society: A detailed analysis.
- Analysis of the most successful military operation during the Second World War.
History of French and German Cinema Dissertation Topics
Apart from the dissertation topics mentioned above topics from other fields of history such as those based on French and German cinema can also be worked upon. Dissertations that relate to the history of French and German Cinema are given below:
- Politics and its effects on German and French Cinema; Justifications and critical analysis.
- Variations and similarities between the French and German Cinema; Critical Analysis.
History of Racism Dissertation Topics
This too is one of the burning issues of the history of mankind because Blacks in Britain and other parts of the world were treated as slaves. As a result their rights were regularly exploited by the more powerful white race, preventing them to have a dignified and well reputed life. Researchers can find various dissertation topics under this field of history because there were numerous problems and their effects that occurred due to the discrimination phenomenon among the blacks and the whites.
- Problems faced by the Asian and Black people in Britain, A detailed analysis.
- Problems faced by Blacks and Asians in the field of education in comparison with the white people/students.
- Ethnic violence in Great Britain – A review of the major events from the past.
History of Spanish Civil War Dissertation Topics
This was not only a war but a major revolution of its time and is still remembered as one of the major events in the past because its linkages are not only confined to one phenomenon but many other aspects such as unhappiness, social issues, gender discrimination, and cultural, social and political issues. So there are a number of potential topics of research related to this one major chunk of history, and therefore a researcher can select any of the events related to the Spanish civil war for his or her dissertation topic. Here are some topics you can base your dissertation on:
- Social and political issues; Case of the “Spanish Civil War”.
- “The Transition” era. Analysis of the changes of transformation from dictatorship to a liberal state.
- “The Historical Memory Law”; Case of the victims of both sides of the Spanish Civil War.
- “The memorials” from the Spanish Civil War. Critical analysis.
History of the Enemies of the United States Dissertation Topics
- Role of media in portraying Vietnam War as a military failure. Critically analyze.
- Reasons for not supporting interventions of America in Vietnam. Assess critically.
- Policy making of the American Government and the role of media. Analysis and justifications.
- Media, its role in that time and how that could have been modified. Discuss and analyze.
- World wars and American economy. Analyze the advancements and the drawbacks.
- Examination of the media and military during Vietnam War. Causes of American failure.
- Domestic issues and American failure. Discuss and analyze.
- Vietnam War and the American strategy. A historical debate.
The Reformation in Wales Dissertation Topics
This is one of the most famous events of the English history, and therefore an interesting area of research for a researcher. Some of the dissertation topics in this field of history are listed as follows:
- “Welsh Acts”; Analysis and discussion specific to Wales.
- “The Reformation” as a legislative movement. Analysis.
- Monasteries and their dissolution. Analysis.
- “The Welsh Problem” with emphasis on the reasons of non-unity.
- Union and its acts in regard to its aims and effects. Analysis.
Events Early in the Twentieth Century Dissertation Topics
Palestinian-Israel conflict can be addressed by the researcher. Some of the dissertation topics related to this aspect of history are as follows:
- Fatah, its creation and Yasser Arafat
- Fatah and its rise. Analysis of the major events.
- Arafat’s peaceful resolve. Analysis.
- Palestinian problem and role of Arafat. Critical analysis.
Also Read : Project Management Dissertation Topics
History of Nazi Germany Dissertation Topics
Nazi Germany is not only confined to a limited perspective of history but leads to the history of many parts of the world which can provide the researcher basis for the selection of the topic of dissertation. Following are some of the dissertation topics that can be chosen by those interested in the history of Nazi Germany:
- Reasons for the failure of Nazi’s party. Analysis
- Successful policies of the Nazi’s that led to their success.
- Special traits and characteristics of Nazis that led to their popularity.
Not Sure Which Dissertation Topic to Choose?
Use Our Topic Planning Service
About Research Prospect Ltd
Research Prospect offers help with all types of academic projects and assignment writing. We specialize in completing your Research and Development (R&D) projects, Design projects, Literature Reviews, Essays, Reports, Coursework, BExam Notes, Statistical Analysis, Primary and Empirical Research and Case Studies. We are a UK registered company (Registration number SC 472181) offering professional research and writing expertise.