Selecting an appropriate dissertation topic can be a challenging experience for both undergraduate and graduate students. Sometimes students tend to choose a topic that is too broad in scope to cover within a specific time frame. Therefore, it is recommended to select a concise but an interesting topic which is thought provoking and grabs the attention of the reader. Students should also realize that being ambitious is good but being too ambitious can prove to be unfavorable for their research and subsequently to overall module grade. Before they finalize the topic it is pivotal to look into the available literature to understand the extent of their research and determine their objectives. Another thing to check when selecting a topic is the availability of literature since undergraduate and graduate level dissertations, unlike PhD dissertations, have a smaller scope and do not aim to change course or invent a new thing, so the available literature can be of great help in determining the goal, scope and methodology of the research. The supporting evidences and academic sources can help you to fortify and strengthen the arguments presented in your dissertation. The above given information is true for all subjects including media. This article suggests some topics regarding media and its related fields so you can kick start your dissertation without delays. Or you can choose to get help from our best dissertation writing service in UK if you are on a short deadline.
Check our dissertation example to get an idea on how to structure your dissertation
“Our expert dissertation writers can help you with all stages of the dissertation writing process including topic research and selection, dissertation plan, dissertation proposal, methodology, statistical analysis, primary and secondary research, findings and analysis and complete dissertation writing. Learn more about Research Prospect dissertation writing services. “
Journalism and Privacy Dissertation Topics
In today’s world journalism and privacy is considered a very intriguing and fascinating subject. Its focuses on how a journalist while respecting the privacy of an individual can still find out the details relating to his or her personal life. The job of the journalist is to dissect the events that are of public interest by using investigation as a tool without violating any privacy related rights of an individual. Topics for dissertation in this field are given below:
- Since the English law lacks privacy laws, so is the common law sufficient for guarding the privacy of the people? Discuss.
- To guard the privacy of an individual from journalists – Should English legal system adopt proportionality? Discuss.
- Demand for stringent regulations in shielding the privacy of an individual: Case of Princess Diana.
- An analysis of the need for UK to adopt European human right laws to protect individual’s privacy threatened by journalism
- A legal discussion on the privacy rights of the celebrities.
- An analysis of the impacts of stringent privacy regulations on the economics of journalism.
- A critique on the use of privacy laws by celebrities for publicity and other benefits.
- There are multiple approaches being used in Europe for privacy protection – Is there a need for one consistent approach? Discuss.
Journalism and Freedom of Expression Dissertation Topics
The foundation of journalism is freedom of expression. This right enables the journalist to think and act freely according to his or her own understanding. Journalists in fact use it as a protection tool against the court cases, however sometimes there may be issues regarding this right as some celebrities or famous individuals might find it breaching their privacy. Dissertation in this field can prove to be interesting and professionally rewarding, and therefore will definitely catch the attention of the audience. Below are given some topics regarding this field of media:
- Understanding the protection given by court to the journalists: A case study of Reynolds verses Times Newspaper.
- Understanding the importance of sources to the journalists and approaches to protect them from being exposed during cases.
- A review of Canadian and German approach to handle journalism and freedom of expression and analysis of its suitability for UK.
- Freedom of expression and democratic society, justifications for breaching the first to safeguard the interest of the later.
- Public response to free press being essential and integral part of democracy: Comparison of UK and USA point of view.
- Journalism: Freedom of expression or freedom to destroy an individual’s life?
- A debate on the role played by journalism: Watchdog or responsible journalism?
- Sometimes very private data or information is accessed by the journalists – Is this right to call it freedom of expression?
“Complete this short online form and provide as much information as possible to receive instant quotes from our writers specialising in your area of research.”
Media, the Artist and Censorship Dissertation Topics
Censorship is something which is being practiced worldwide. It is an attempt made by the government to prevent display of certain content on media. We often hear the news of something getting banned somewhere on media. This however is done to safeguard the interest of the people and the nation but is often criticized. Media plays a vital role in shaping the minds of the people and influencing their actions. Therefore censorship can be viewed as something positive or negative. Some dissertation topics in this field of media are given below:
- Is censorship preventing an individual to access free press? Discuss with relevance to fundamental rights.
- A critique on the relationship of media with politics: Balanced or biased approach?
- In Iran censoring the content on media is a common practice. Is it done to stop negative influence or to control the minds of the people?
- A debate on banning pornography in an independent and democratic state.
- Understanding the role played by politics in controlling the minds of the people through the use of media. Discuss the need for democratic societies to be politically correct for the implementation of censorship.
Media across Cultures Dissertation Topics
The role of media changes from one culture to another. Media plays a vital role in spreading news and information across the globe but people of one culture may interpret news differently compared to the people of another culture. Therefore comparative research in this field can prove to be interesting and beneficial. Some dissertation topics are proposed below:
- Is UK losing its culture and society in the eyes of media? : The case of big brother.
- Discuss the role of western media in attracting the harsh reaction posed by the Islamic movement.
- France facing a threat to its culture by Americanization: Picture painted by media.
Music, Culture, the Artist and Intellectual property
Intellectual property is scared to the artists in the world of music and media. There are copyrights, patents and trademarks to safeguard the intellectual property of various individuals so that they can gain recognition and money from them. However piracy is becoming very common as artist’s work can easily be downloaded from the internet but in this case another debate springs up that is it right to call it stealing? The topics for dissertation in this field are given below:
- An analysis of the role played by international treaties (TRIPS / WIPO) in influencing the economic share of music and film industry.
- Discuss the various legally permitted reasons for breaching the intellectual property of an individual for educational purposes.
- The domination of music industry by good music or by economics: Discuss.
- A comparative analysis of Canadian and UK music markets.
- Britain lacks cultural music so suggest ways for its promotion.
- Discuss why the copyright laws give preference to the owner of copyright over the artist in music industry.
Communication in the Digital Age Dissertation Topics
Communication has improved a lot in the digital age due to the advancements made in technology. The information can now be shared easily and quickly, and it has provided a medium to interact with people living miles away from you. However, this has also enhanced the communication between the governments and individuals might feel threatened that their personal information can be shared easily and in no time. Some dissertation topics are given below:
- Analysis of the adequacy of UK laws in safeguarding the individual through data protection.
- Different approaches are being used in Europe for data protection. Which one among them is good for digital communications?
- Explain how digital age has changed the conventional style of education.
- An analysis of the role played by digital communication in transferring knowledge and education to aid development.
- Government uses censorship to control the minds of the people. Discuss the contribution of internet in democratic society.
Communication and Government Monitoring Dissertation Topics
The development in the technological sector and advancements in mass communication has provided easier and cheaper ways for communication. However with this good part comes the bad part in which the privacy of an individual is threatened. The government can easily access the personal information of an individual which was initially provided to the service provider. This means that mass communication offers both advantages and disadvantages. Media dissertation regarding this subject would be fascinating and some interesting topics are proposed below:
- Internet service providers possess an individual’s personal information and also allow the government to access this information. Is it ethically right to do so?
- Discuss the justification provided by the UK government for their action of accessing the personal information of individuals.
- Discuss the role of social networking in erasing the distinction between mass and personal communication.
- Privacy is one of the fundamental rights of an individual and because of this the work of journalists is often criticized, then how does the government justify its own actions when they are doing the same.
As the world is moving at a rapid pace and since the environment around us is changing dramatically due to the technological advancements, it is important to note that the mode of communication is also changing. Social networking is changing the way people use internet and is enabling them to communicate differently by using various websites and blogs. Many people suggested that the world is becoming more interconnected and people are socializing more than ever before. However, it is also important to note that how the mass communication is sabotaging personal communication. If you have interest in this field of media then some exciting and attention grabbing topics are given below:
- An nalysis of the impact of social networking sites like Facebook on the economics of mass communication.
- Discuss the role of social networking in the marketing and advertising of a business or product on internet.
- Discuss the impact of social networking on education. Social networking provides easy excess to information and also to education.
Media and politics
Media and politics both go hand in hand. A relationship of mutualism is shared between the two. Politics use media as a tool to communicate information of its own interest. As a matter of fact government sometimes uses media to control the minds of the people and influence them to think in a particular way or manner. Censorship is also used by the government to achieve the same objectives by permitting and restricting the content to be displayed on media. Similarly media benefits from this by getting new information and news to excite its viewers or audience. Social media is comparatively a new concept but is gaining popularity at a fast pace even in the world of politics. Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter can facilitate in delivering of a certain message. It is also an effective way to engage the public in election campaigning and is often used to enhance the interest of youth in politics. Dissertation in this field can help you better understand that how a government functions with the help of media. If you are interested in this field for your dissertation then few topics are given below which can prove to be helpful.
- Understanding the political communications: Various approaches using media as a tool.
- Is social media opening up new ways to persuade people? Discuss with relevance to politics.
- Is it ethically right to influence the thinking of the public by controlling the media content accessible to them?
- The role of media in a democratic society: A review of for and against arguments.
- Discuss how the participation of youth in politics can be enhanced with the help of social media.
About Research Prospect Ltd
Research Prospect offers help with all types of academic projects and assignment writing. We specialize in completing your Research and Development (R&D) projects, Design projects, Literature Reviews, Essays, Reports, Coursework, Assignments, Posters, Exam Notes, Statistical Analysis, Primary and Empirical Research and Case Studies. We are a UK registered company (Registration number SC 472181) offering professional research and writing expertise.