Fashion and Culture Dissertation Topics
Published byat January 5th, 2023 , Revised On January 6, 2023
The fashion trends reflect culture. The influence of culture on major styles and trends of the past can’t be understated. This is predominantly true in the world of women’s fashion. As the 20th century kicked off, women started to fight for equal rights, reflected in their fashion trends.
Thus, early in the 20th century, women were first seen wearing jeans. Fast forwarding, women of today’s world are now accustomed to smoking, which was previously seen as a strictly male habit. Cultures throughout the globe make use of clothing to make fashion statements.
Fashion trends further reflect the hierarchies, personal relationships, and social power structures within communities. Finding a good fashion dissertation topic can be a very daunting task, primarily because it should be intriguing and manageable in the given timeframe.
According to Diverse World Fashion (2014), “Culture is a largely inclusive concept, and the fact of fashion reflecting culture implies some consideration of some major cultural changes. Technological advances— such as the Internet— have been immensely transformative in culture.”
To help you get started with brainstorming for your fashion and culture topic ideas, we have developed a list of the latest topics that can be used for writing your fashion and culture dissertation.
PhD qualified writers of our team have developed these topics, so you can trust to use these topics for drafting your dissertation.
You may also want to start your dissertation by requesting a brief research proposal from our writers on any of these topics, which includes an introduction to the problem, research question, aim and objectives, literature review, along with the proposed methodology of research to be conducted. Let us know if you need any help in getting started.
Check our example dissertation to get an idea of how to structure your dissertation.
You can review step by step guide on how to write your dissertation here.
2022 Fashion and Culture Dissertation Topics
Research Aim: The research aims to conduct an investigation into the impact of fashion choices on impacting cultural values of the consumers.
- To evaluate the factors impacting the fashion trends.
- To analyse the relationship between fashion choices and the perceptions of the consumers.
- To investigate how the fashion choices of the consumers impact their cultural values and social identity.
Research Aim: The research aims to investigate the relevance of culture on social accountability and natural fabric selection by fashion consumers.
- To analyse the influence of culture on the fashion choices of the customers.
- To evaluate the impact of social accountability in the fashion industry.
- To investigate how social accountability and natural fabric selection are influenced by culture.
Research Aim: The research aims to analyse the impact of global culture on UK fashion trends.
- To analyse the impact of global culture on fashion and the perception of the consumers.
- To determine the effect of culture on fashion trends and emerging choices of silhouettes.
- To examine the ways in which the global culture has impacted the fashion trends in the UK.
Research Aim: To analyse the relationship of religion with the fashion choices of the consumers in the UK.
- To analyse the influence of religion on the choice of clothing and fashion sense of the consumers.
- To evaluate the impact of religion on reinforcing tradition through fashion.
- To investigate the impact of religion on the individuality and fashion choices of consumers in the UK.
Research Aim: The research aims to conduct an assessment of the evolution of the fashion trends and colour choices in the UK
- To analyse the evolution of fashion in the UK since the 1900s.
- To understand the factors impacting the colour choices of apparel in the UK
- To abases the factors impacting the evolution of fashion trends and colour choices in the UK.
Covid-19 Fashion and Culture Research Topics
Research Aim: This study will highlight the impacts of coronavirus on the fashion industry
Research Aim: Covid-19 has disrupted all industries, including the fashion industry. All textile and luxury brands were paused during the global lockdown. This study will investigate how the fashion industry has contributed to combating the coronavirus pandemic.
Research Aim: The lockdown situation during the crisis of COVID-19 has affected the people and their culture. This study will address those issues and the role of the public in maintaining a safe environment.
Research Aim: This study will highlight the impacts of coronavirus on the creative sector, the planning, and innovations to overcome the consequences of COVID-19.
Research Aim: This study will predict the future of the fashion, cultural, and creative sectors after COVID-19 by highlighting the challenges, various methods to overcome those challenges.
Fashion and Culture Dissertation Topics for 2021
Research Aim: This research aims to identify the difference between wool and synthetic wool
Research Aim: This research aims to address the growing popularity of the natural fabric
Research Aim: This research aims to evaluate the demand for fashion designing
Research Aim: This research aims to evaluate occasion shopping and obsession with shopping
Fashion and Culture Dissertation Topics for 2021
Research Aim: Fashion has always played a significant role in everyone’s life. The research aims to analyse the role and importance of fashion in re-shaping and mould Western cultural values.
Research Aim: Since the last few decades, the fashion industry has played a prominent role in influencing cultural values. However, this research will be focusing on how the modern fashion of the 21st century represents the political and cultural ideals of the current era.
Research Aim: The main aim of the research is to analyse and find out how western culture has influenced the living standards and buying preferences of Asian consumers. It is a well-researched argument that The Western world and its culture influence Asian consumers. Therefore, this research will be focusing on consumers of Pakistan and India and how their buy decisions might be affected by western culture.
Research Aim: Royal families have always been subjected to classy fashion trends, creating an intense impression on the general public. The main focus of the research is to assess the fashion trends of royal families around the world with a specific focus on the UK and Saudi Arabia.
Iconography Dissertation Topics
For centuries fashion has remained connected to the world of celebrities and music, reflecting ever-changing cultural trends. Iconography based dissertations may discuss the role of icons in fashion and art from a historical perspective.
The iconography subject primarily provides an insight into the celebrity culture to understand how they are used and portrayed to promote a certain fashion trend. Some interesting fashion and culture dissertation titles under this field of study are listed below:
- The involvement of affluent female consumers in the fashion industry
- Cultural modernity and fashion journalism in Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai
- Alexander McQueen and the perception of fashion – A case study of the five fashion shows
- The impact of fashion journalism on the current fashion industry
- Mad for Madonna: The high and low fashions of Eighties pop culture
- Lady Gaga: Glamorous fashions of the music industry
- Selena Gomez: The teenage style icon for casual fashion
- Eminently Eminem: Fashions of the rapping culture
- James Dean and the Café Culture
- Beyond the Pink: (Post) Youth Iconography in Cinema
- Investigating the impact of celebrity culture on the fashion industry with a particular focus on females’ fashion clothing consumption
- Do celebrity-endorsed advertisements in fashion magazines influence the purchase intentions of generation Y?
Also Read: Psychology Dissertation Topics for 2021
How Can Research Prospect Help?
Research Prospect writers can send several custom topic ideas to your email address. Once you have chosen a topic that suits your needs and interests, you can order for our dissertation outline service, which will include a brief introduction to the topic, research questions, literature review, methodology, expected results, and conclusion. The dissertation outline will enable you to review the quality of our work before placing the order for our full dissertation writing service!
History of Fashion Dissertation Topics
Charles Frederick Worth is the first known fashion designer who sewed his label into the garments, laying the foundation for the modern fashion industry, including individual designers, fashion houses and firms. Fashion history dissertations typically use pictorial analysis to draw specific comparisons between the fashion trends of different ages. There is a wide array of research topics to choose from in this very interesting and entertaining field of fashion and culture. Some fashion history dissertation topics are listed below to get you started without any further delays.
- Fashion and Technology: Major fashion trends of the 21st century
- The material culture of women’s accessories – Feminine display, race formation and middle-class performance (1825-1925)
- Investigating American fashion trends through the decades: 1950-2010
- Investigating British fashion trends through the decades: 1910-2010
- Cultural transformation: Feminism in the American fashion industry between 1930 and 1980
- Studying men’s fashion in Britain since 1800y
- How English wedding dresses have evolved over the years – The history and origins
- The impact of ethnic clothing on fashion trends in the UK
- Fools and jesters through the ages
- Women’s shoe fashion trends from 1700 to 2000
- Fifties fashions on the streets today
- Entering the era of liberalism: A closer look at the fashion trends of the 1920s
Fashion Design Dissertation Topics
Fashion designing can be described as the application of aesthetics and design to apparel and accessories. Both social and cultural factors influence fashion design which changes with place and time. In general, fashion designers’ responsibilities include but are not limited to designing apparel and accessories and anticipating varying consumer trends before the product is brought onto the market.
The primary aim of fashion designers is to design clothes that are functional and pleasing to the eye. Fashion design dissertations include research studies on the use of illegal material such as fur, regional styles and traditions, and the relationship between fashion design and leisure activities such as sports and theatre. Some interesting fashion design research questions can be explored in the following subjects:
- How the ball gown has evolved over the decades
- Fashion and Sports: The evolution of swimwear from early to modern
- The influence of Shetland’s textile culture on fashion design
- The modish Victorian challenge to design a bodice
- The eta of manmade dress material: 1900-2000
- Clothing of importance: The tuxedo and the suit since 1800
- Investigating the history and evolution of the hat
- Exploring the differences between UK urban and rural fashion design over the last two decades
- Historical importance of fur with respect to clothing
- Use of alternative materials for clothing
- Fifties fashions on the streets today
- Use of alternative materials for clothing
“Complete this short online form and provide as much information as possible to receive instant quotes from our writers specializing in your area of research.”
Order a Proposal
Worried about your dissertation proposal? Not sure where to start?
- Choose any deadline
- Plagiarism free
- Unlimited free amendments
- Free anti-plagiarism report
- Completed to match exact requirements
Children’s Apparel Dissertation Topics
Any form of clothing designed specifically for children can be categorized as children’s apparel. It should be noted that children’s clothing is almost always more sensual and funky than adult clothing. In recent times, gender-based children’s clothing has attracted substantial attention in the world of fashion.
Nonetheless, children’s fashion is an extremely diverse and imaginative market that presents attractive business opportunities. Children’s fashion incorporates emblematic and symbolic imagery – especially relating to the fairytale, folk-lore, and hero-worship, more than any other type of Western clothing. Below are listed some key debates, ideas and discussions which would make enjoyable and challenging research topics:
- Modern sociology of children and consumption
- Investigating the clothing needs of children with disabilities
- A qualitative study about fashion trends in Western children clothing
- Moral Failure: How media portrays teen girls as a symbol of sex
- School uniforms designs – Society’s attitudes and perceptions
- Embracing ambiguity in the historiography of children’s dress
- Sweet girls and cool boys – A qualitative study to understand the relationship between children’s clothing and gender
- The origin of the motif
- Chains, T-Shirts, and baggy trousers: The meaning of skateboard culture
- Halloween: Fashion and the children’s imagination
- Superheroes: Symbolism and representation in fantastic fashions
Fashion Entrepreneurship Dissertation Topics
A person who owns and possesses a fashion idea, venture or enterprise is a fashion entrepreneur. The activities of a fashion entrepreneur are confined within the boundaries of the fashion industry.
Creating knowledge-sharing platforms and addressing structural and social issues are some of the most important fashion entrepreneurship elements. Starting a new fashion business can be extremely daunting, especially if the economic climate is not suitable. There is a wide array of dissertation topics available under this particular field of study:
- Analyzing fashion design entrepreneurship – Challenges and Opportunities
- Factors affecting the performance of small and medium-sized enterprises in the UK fashion and culture industry – A case study of any five enterprises
- The impact of digital marketing on the performance of small and medium scale fashion business organisations in the UK
- Studying iconic women entrepreneurs engaged in the fashion industry
- Fashion enterprise and entrepreneurship education – Guidance for potential fashion entrepreneurs
- Developing a viable business plan for a fashion brand
- The making of the female entrepreneur in the world of fashion
- To study the failure and success factors affecting apparel businesses.
- The importance of the role of trade fairs in the international fashion business
- Social media marketing for luxury fashion brands
- Contemporary issues in fashion marketing
As a fashion and culture student looking to get good grades, it is essential to develop new ideas and experiment with existing fashion and culture theories – i.e., to add value and interest in your research topic.
Fashion and culture are vast and interrelated to many other academic disciplines like civil engineering, construction, law, and even healthcare. That is why it is imperative to create a fashion and culture dissertation topic that is articular, sound, and actually solves a practical problem that may be rampant in the field.
We can’t stress how important it is to develop a logical research topic based on your entire research. There are several significant downfalls to getting your topic wrong; your supervisor may not be interested in working on it, the topic has no academic creditability, the research may not make logical sense, there is a possibility that the study is not viable.
This impacts your time and efforts in writing your dissertation, as you may end up in the cycle of rejection at the initial stage of the dissertation. That is why we recommend reviewing existing research to develop a topic, taking advice from your supervisor, and even asking for help in this particular stage of your dissertation.
While developing a research topic, keeping our advice in mind will allow you to pick one of the best fashion and culture dissertation topics that fulfil your requirement of writing a research paper and add to the body of knowledge.
Therefore, it is recommended that when finalizing your dissertation topic, you read recently published literature to identify gaps in the research that you may help fill.
Remember- dissertation topics need to be unique, solve an identified problem, be logical, and be practically implemented. Please look at some of our sample fashion and culture dissertation topics to get an idea for your own dissertation.
How to Structure your Fashion and Culture Dissertation
A well-structured dissertation can help students to achieve a high overall academic grade.
- A Title Page
- Abstract: A summary of the research completed
- Table of Contents
- Introduction: This chapter includes the project rationale, research background, key research aims and objectives, and the research problems. An outline of the structure of a dissertation can also be added to this chapter.
- Literature Review: This chapter presents relevant theories and frameworks by analyzing published and unpublished literature on the chosen research topic to address research questions. The purpose is to highlight and discuss the selected research area’s relative weaknesses and strengths while identifying research gaps. Break down the topic and key terms that can positively impact your dissertation and your tutor.
- Methodology: The data collection and analysis methods and techniques employed by the researcher are presented in the Methodology chapter, which usually includes research design, research philosophy, research limitations, code of conduct, ethical consideration, data collection methods and data analysis strategy.
- Findings and Analysis: Findings of the research are analyzed in detail under the Findings and Analysis chapter. All key findings/results are outlined in this chapter without interpreting the data or drawing any conclusions. It can be useful to include graphs, charts and tables in this chapter to identify meaningful trends and relationships.
- Discussion and Conclusion: The researcher presents his interpretation of the results in this chapter and states whether the research hypothesis has been verified or not. An essential aspect of this section is establishing the link between the results and evidence from the literature. Recommendations with regards to the implications of the findings and directions for the future may also be provided. Finally, a summary of the overall research, along with final judgments, opinions, and comments, must be included in the form of suggestions for improvement.
- References: Make sure to complete this by your University’s requirements
- Appendices: Any additional information, diagrams, and graphs used to complete the dissertation but not part of the dissertation should be included in the Appendices chapter. Essentially, the purpose is to expand the information/data.
About Research Prospect Ltd
Research Prospect is a UK based academic writing service that provides help with Dissertation Proposal Writing, PhD. Proposal Writing, Dissertation Writing, Dissertation Editing and Improvement.
Our team of writers is highly qualified and are an expert in their respective fields. They have been working for us for a long time. Thus, they are well aware of the issues and the trends of the subject they specialize in.
Need more Topics.?
Review Our Best Dissertation Topics 2020 complete list.